Technical Program Manager (Optics)
Careers at Oculus
Part of Facebook
At Oculus Research, we're developing the future of augmented reality (AR). As a Program Manager, your job will be figuring out what we need to do to build it. You'll be a critical member of a multi-disciplinary team contributing to our efforts to gain a scientific understanding of haptics, human perception, audio, input, computer vision, optics, display technology, and whatever else we dream up to create the ultimate AR experience. You will work closely with internal Oculus teams, academic institutions, external partners, and vendors to help: define requirements and deliverables, schedule and track project progress, order and manage equipment, coordinate with other internal teams, schedule shared resources, and manage partner relationships. To be successful, you will be eliminating barriers to your team's success, clearly communicating their work to all stakeholders and ensuring the big picture stays in focus while delving into the details on specific issues. Ideal team members are adaptable and resilient, eager to attack unfamiliar problems with curiosity and tenacity, and able to use a light touch to find ways to help the team be more efficient.
- Lead research and product development activities to specify, procure, measure, and build advanced optical components and sub-assemblies for AR displays.
- Work with research teams to map out the scope, and identify constraints, dependencies, and risks.
- Work with the team to develop the product development and scale-up strategy.
- Work with the team to carry out make vs buy decisions of components and manufacturing processes.
- Evaluate suppliers' capabilities to meet product needs and establish criteria for meeting those needs with collaboration with product and process engineers.
- Manage projects with suppliers and partners from writing statement of work to final deliverables in collaboration with support functions such as Business Development, Legal, and Procurement.
- Operate at different levels of abstraction from high level strategic planning to tactical project management of prioritization, creating schedules, milestones, and deliverables.
- Breakdown the complexity of the technical program to enable a clear understanding of the scope and deliverables to a wider audience of team members and support functions.
- Drive the execution of the plan and manage the day to day activities of the program.
- Proactively identify technical, legal, procedural, logistical, and communication issues and drive creative solutions to fix them and manage risk.
- Identify resources needed and work closely with team leaders to maintain full visibility of the project schedule and potential roadblocks.
- Act as the main channel of communication for key formal discussions and decisions that involve technical team leader, support functions (Legal, Business Development, and Procurement) external partners, and other members of the organization.
- Bachelor's degree or higher in optical engineering, mechanical engineering, or materials science, or similar field.
- Self-starter with analytical and organizational skills.
- 6+ years of experience with new product introduction (NPI) and technology transfer best practice and tools.
- 6+ years of experience with practicing phased product development processes.
- 6+ years of experience in launching new products from concept/inception phase with direct knowledge of product and process development, supplier management, developing cost models, and pilot-scale manufacturing lines either internally or with a contract manufacturer.
- Ability to understand and communicate technical information to non-experts.
- 6+ years of experience building, coordinating, and maintaining schedules across multiple teams, and managing shared resources
- Ability to work with coordinate activities with multiple team in a timely manner.
- Interpersonal skills with the ability to motivate and resolve conflicts.
- Ability to operate autonomously across multiple teams
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally, approximately 4-6 times a year.
- 6+ years of experience as a program manager in the optics or photonics field in adaptive optics, active optical devices, complex optomechenical systems, or MEMS devices.
- Excellent communication skills for sharing high level updates as well as detailed plans.
- Proven track record of transitioning immature or emerging technologies into consumer products.
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Global Marketing Lead, Facebook Blueprint
As the marketing lead for Facebook’s Blueprint program, Lauren focuses on building awareness around the program and the adoption of education and training by businesses and advertisers.
Back to top