Technical Program Manager, Optical Networking
(Menlo Park, CA)
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
Facebook is seeking a Technical Program Manager (TPM), Optical Networking, with prior experience in designing, procuring, and deploying optical networking technology in an infrastructure industry/environment supporting commercial/technical procurement and managing optical program/project activities for new builds and upgrades to ensure seamless connectivity to new and existing optical infrastructure. The projects will support the Network Engineering organization with overall responsibilities including end-to-end network connectivity between Facebook's global Data Centers (DCs) and Points of Presence (PoPs). This is a full-time position based in Menlo Park, CA and will report to the Group Technical Program Manager with synchronous coordination with Backbone Engineering TPMs in Facebook located in other regions. The TPM will also assist with connecting the backbone for optical/IP projects for the region.
- Manage cross-functional site infrastructure projects in a matrix organization covering a range of areas (data center, office, PoP, datacenter network & backbone network, CDN, hardware systems, capacity mgmt. ).
- Develop and manage end-to-end project plans and ensure on-time delivery.
- Provide hands-on program management during analysis, design, development, testing, implementation, and post implementation phases.
- Perform risk management and change management on projects.
- Provide day-to-day coordination and quality assurance for projects and tasks.
- Manage dependencies and handoffs effectively and optimize schedules accordingly.
- Build quality control and quality assurance into project plans effectively.
- Ensure that lessons learned are captured comprehensively, acted on and communicated out for each project.
- Ensure consistency across projects, regions globally and alignment with other TPM's.
- Drive internal process improvements across multiple teams and functions.
- Interface with Engineering and business owners for project requirements and scope.
- B.S. in a technical discipline or equivalent experience.
- Seven or more years of Optical Networking Design, Deployment, and Operational experience including three plus years experience as a Technical Program Manager.
- Experience with Project Management tools.
- Track record of delivering data center electrical, mechanical, and network cabling infrastructure.
- Experience working with a variety of colo providers and ISPs.
- Communication skills.
- Organizational and coordination skills along with multitasking capabilities to get things done in a fast-paced environment.
- Interpersonal skills, including relationship building and collaboration within a diverse, cross-functional team.
- Experience understanding application requirements and translating needs into data center and network capacity plans.
- Hands-on experience with Network Deployments and Circuit Provisioning
- Web or Internet start-up environment and technical infrastructure management experience.
- PMP Certification (PMI).
- Experience with managing projects related to data center design, hardware design and capacity management.
- Experience in hardware life cycle management.
- Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA)
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Global Marketing Lead, Facebook Blueprint
As the marketing lead for Facebook’s Blueprint program, Lauren focuses on building awareness around the program and the adoption of education and training by businesses and advertisers.
Back to top