Technical Program Manager, Messenger RTC
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
Facebook Messenger is one of the most popular products in the world for people to connect and interact. It is used by over 1 billion people monthly for: text/photo/video messages, voice/video calls, game play, connecting with businesses, interacting with a thriving ecosystem of 3rd party digital bots, hosting and participating in rooms and groups, and much more. The Real Time Communications (RTC) infrastructure in Messenger provides the foundation for voice/video call experiences in Messenger products. The RTC infrastructure is tightly integrated with the broader Facebook infrastructure on the backend, and also supports RTC experiences in other Facebook products.
We are developing technology to improve voice and video communication experience to help connect people at any time. We are investing heavily in RTC servers and services, RTC media stack, audio and video codecs, networking protocols, data security, privacy protection, and end-to-end reliability and media quality experiences on mobile platforms, web browsers, and emerging hardware devices.
For this particular role, we are looking for a Technical Program Manager to join the Messenger Team in Seattle. In this position, you will redefine 'state-of-the-art' while working with the world's most talented Engineers. New hires in this role go through engineering bootcamp and are able to champion building an overarching understanding of the whole system architecture. As peer to Engineering Leads, Managers and Product Managers, the individual will heavily contribute to planning and strategy, execution, evangelism, negotiating cross-team dependencies, representing the voice of the customer and our partner teams, and are expected to shine as a valuable addition to the team.
- Manage software and hardware engineering programs in a matrix
- Define and own key metrics and key performance indicators
- Articulate the technology, requirements, goals and milestones of your team
- Collaboratively define the vision for building a FB scale state-of-the-art RTC functionality
- Work with Engineering and other Facebook teams to define your team's strategy
- Partner with other key infrastructure groups across the company to support RTC needs
- Reduce surprises during execution and own project management and progress reporting
- Bring a strong sense of execution and ownership to the team
- Make your technical stack transparent with great documentation, demos, training sessions/tutorials and articles/blogs
- B.S. in a technical discipline or equivalent experience
- 7+ years of software engineering, systems engineering or similar experience, in addition to project/program management experience
- 4+ years of experience working on services applying RTC technologies
- M.S. or Ph.D. degree with focus in RTC, Networking, or Multimedia technologies
- 10+ years of software engineering, systems engineering or similar experience, in addition to project/program management experience
- Web or Internet start-up environment and technical infrastructure management experience
- Communication skills and experience working with highly technical management teams
- Strong organizational and coordination skills along with multi-tasking capabilities to get things done in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to motivate and focus a large collaboration to reach challenging goals
- Interpersonal skills, including relationship building and collaboration within a diverse, cross-functional team
- Analytical and problem-solving skills, exposure to large-scale systems
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Global Marketing Lead, Facebook Blueprint
As the marketing lead for Facebook’s Blueprint program, Lauren focuses on building awareness around the program and the adoption of education and training by businesses and advertisers.
Back to top