Technical Program Manager, Messenger Core Rich Media
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
Messenger's mission is to deliver an engaging, fast, and dependable experience across multiple surfaces. The transport product infrastructure team, located in the Facebook Seattle office, aligns to this mission by providing an engaging rich media user experience & robust transport stack that powers Messenger's 1.3+ billion users every day. We need help scaling this platform, making it rock solid, and supporting new, innovative user experiences.
We are seeking a proactive Technical Program Manager for our product infrastructure team in Messenger who can drive the end-to-end media experience, from sender through recipient, of photos, videos, stickers, GIFs, audio clips, and file attachments. These expressive experiences will enrich how people communicate with each other while being best-in-class in performance, reliability, and efficiency. Rich media in Messenger is a big, challenging space ripe for innovation. Are you up for the challenge to lead rich messaging at Facebook? We are bold and will lead the industry in what we do next.
An ideal candidate will have a strong background in mobile along with both product & infrastructure experience. You show expertise in identifying customers' diverse unmet needs, use data & partnerships to guide decision making, and deliver on user-centric product experiences that help people come together. You also have proven to go deep into mobile client architecture & infrastructure along with a solid understanding of transport and server processing. You will be expected to be a highly effective communicator, articulate & implement a clear direction in both product & technical dimensions, and build strong partnerships across cross-functional teams at Facebook. You will be partnering with some the world's foremost Engineers, Data Scientists, Designers, and Product Managers on a daily basis to measurably move the needle on bringing people closer together - worldwide.
As peer to Engineering Leads, Managers and Product Managers, you will heavily contribute to planning and strategy, decision making, execution, evangelism, aligning across teams & disciplines, representing the voice of the customer, industry trends & direction including competitive stance, and expected to shine as a valuable & influential member of the team. New hires in this role go through Engineering Bootcamp and are able to build an overarching understanding of the whole system architecture. This is a full-time position based in our Seattle office.
- Deeply understand product position & technical infrastructure including end-to-end system from user-experience through client & service details like mobile performance and reliably sending & receiving media on various qualities of networks.
- Collaboratively define the vision for building an innovative & competitive rich media experience which includes delivering a high quality, performant, and reliable rich media end-to-end stack.
- Close partnership with Engineering, Data Science and Product Management to define your team's strategy.
- Articulate the experiences, technology, requirements, goals & milestones of your team.
- Define and own key metrics and key performance indicators.
- Partner with key infra & experience teams including design and content strategists to support product requirements.
- Identifying cross-team dependencies, risks, aligning timelines, and partnering with the Communication & Marketing teams on go-to-market strategy & success metric criteria.
- Bring a strong sense of execution, ownership, and accountability to the team.
- Make your technical stack transparent with demos, training sessions/tutorials, and articles/wikis.
- B.S. in CS or equivalent experience
- 5+ years of product ownership in delivering end-user experiences
- 5+ years of mobile infrastructure (or similar) including program management experience
- Excellent communication skills and experience working with highly technical and management teams
- Strong organizational and coordination skills along with multi-tasking capabilities to get things done in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to motivate and focus a large collaboration to reach challenging goals
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including relationship building and collaboration within a diverse, cross-functional team
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills, exposure to large-scale systems
- Experience working on consumer, end-user facing products
- Experience working on messaging or related products and services in a large-scale environment
- Web or Internet start-up environment and mobile infrastructure management experience
Back to top