Technical Program Manager, Core Sharing Experience
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities â€" we're just getting started.
Facebook is seeking a product focused TPM to help drive some of the most impactful and purposeful work of their life working on the core sharing experience that helps connect people together to have meaningful conversations and bring the world closer together.
Product Technical Program Managers at Facebook navigate loosely defined but massively impactful problem spaces and turn them into well oiled programs by seeing the big picture, driving consensus, and finally driving execution across teams.
We work across all layers of the tech stack at Facebook. The ideal candidate will have a strong technical foundation in complex scalable distributed system platforms similar to Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp and Oculus. They will have experience working with data (analytics/insights experience, knowledge of database query languages, and/or broad experience in using data for product decision making), and the ability to build influence by doing. TPMs go through Engineering Bootcamp and are expected to possess an overarching understanding of the whole system architecture.
- Lead software programs that may not always have a defined scope at the beginning, and will be someone who can hit the ground running to help with execution
- Drive strategic efforts around architecture, performance, reliability, metrics definitions and optimizations
- This person will be highly organized, productive, poised, and able to thrive in high-pressure, time-sensitive scenarios
- Inspire the team towards building a delightful Producer Journey experience from creation to feedback that includes reliability, availability, stability, fluid/responsive experiences for all users across all devices
- Align cross-functional teams on long-term roadmaps to push the technical boundaries and make personal sharing and consuming experiences on Facebook are smooth and industry-leading
- Research, Collaborate, Identify and Align teams on Production Goals & metrics
- Specify types of sharing we want to encourage - text, photos, videos
- Define how core sharing experience should work for each (e.g. uploading video)
- Improve performance, reliability, and quality
- Define key product metrics such as upload latency and reliability (maybe data size?), make upload times faster
- Research, Collaborate, Identify and Align teams on Consumption Goals & metrics
- Define how consumption experience would work (e.g. video playback, photo collage, etc.)
- Define key product metrics such as PSR (how fast it can start), MTBR (frequency of video stalls)
- Drive prioritization with engineering team
- Drive collaboration across various infra, rights management, and other teams
- B.S. in Computer Science or a related technical discipline, or equivalent experience.
- 7+ years of software engineering, systems engineering or technical product/program management experience.
- Experience delivering tech programs or products from inception to delivery.
- Knowledge of user needs, gathering requirements, and defining scope.
- Experience operating autonomously across multiple teams, demonstrated critical thinking, and thought leadership.
- Communication experience and experience working with technical management teams to develop systems, solutions, and products.
- Organizational, coordination and multi-tasking experience.
- Analytical and problem-solving experience with large-scale systems.
- Experience establishing work relationships across multi-disciplinary teams and multiple partners in different time zones.
- Technical knowledge and/or experience in:
- Android & iOS development
- Optimizing software latency and efficiency
- Performance, reliability, stability and quality
Back to top