Technical Program Manager, Artificial Intelligence/Machine Learning
(Menlo Park, CA)
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities — we're just getting started.
Artificial Intelligence/Machine Learning is one of the fastest growing research areas today and the CoreML group in Facebook work on state of the art infrastructure and applied research to bridge the gap between research and product. Technical Program Managers in CoreML lead cross-team engineering efforts for Facebook to help power Machine Learning on data at a massive scale critical for several of our core systems across the company in Feed, Ads, Search and Instagram. We are seeking talented individuals with a solid background in ML/distributed systems that can be highly effective communicators and heavily influential in the organization. AI TPM is a key role for driving impact at Facebook. In this position, you will redefine the state-of-the-art while working with some of the world's most talented Researchers, Engineers and Product Managers. There is a broad array of projects in CoreML including a machine learning platform used by majority of ML engineers at Facebook and advanced algorithms in ML including sparse models, deep neural nets, text understanding and collaborative filtering. The AI TPM would be heavily involved in ensuring the success of these projects. AI Technical Program Managers are a group of passionate individuals who go deep on learning their teams' systems and then leverage this technical knowledge to influence and drive cross-team projects and roadmaps. The AI TPM works horizontally to create long term value for Facebook by promoting the right technologies for productivity, stability, and growth. New hires in this role go through engineering bootcamp and are expected to build an overarching understanding of the whole system architecture. AI TPMs are embedded into the engineering or PM organization. As peers to Engineering Managers and Product Managers, AI TPMs heavily contribute to planning, evangelism, negotiating cross-team dependencies, representing the voice of the customer, and are expected to shine as a valuable addition to the Applied ML organization.We are looking for a highly motivated Technical Program Manager who is passionate about creating business impact with machine learning to join our team of innovative TPMs, researchers and engineers.
- Articulate the technology, requirements, goals and milestones of your team.
- Define and own metrics and key performance indicators.
- Build subject matter expertise in your area and stay up to date on technological developments.
- Determine who your customers are and communicate technical requirements to teams you depend on.
- Reduce surprises during execution and own project management and progress reporting.
- Work with PM and Engineering to define your team's strategy.
- Make your technical stack transparent with great documentation, demos, training sessions/tutorials and articles/blogs.
- B.S. in a technical discipline or equivalent experience
- At least 4 years of software engineering, systems engineering or similar experience, in addition to project/program management experience
- At least 2 years of experience working on services applying machine learning or related approaches preferably in a large scale, distributed environment
- M.S. or Ph.D. degree with focus in Machine Learning, Data Mining, or Statistics
- Web or Internet start-up environment and technical infrastructure management experience
- Ideal candidate will also have:
- Excellent communication skills and experience working with highly technical management teams
- Experience organizing and coordinating large scale tutorials/demos/training sessions for Machine Learning platforms and algorithms
- Strong organizational and coordination skills along with multi-tasking capabilities to get things done in a fast paced environment
- Ability to motivate and focus a large collaboration to reach challenging goals
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including relationship building and collaboration within a diverse, cross-functional team
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills, exposure to large-scale systems
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Manager, Global Client Solutions
Peipei helps Facebook’s top clients devise solution-based and results-driven social media strategies. She creates strategic partnerships to help people and brands connect in a more meaningful way.
Back to top