Technical Program Manager
- Menlo Park, CA
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
FAIR's, Facebook Artificial Intelligence Research, mission is to advance the state-of-the-art of AI through open research. FAIR researchers seek to advance the academic problems surrounding AI. Our research covers the full spectrum of topics related to AI, and to deriving knowledge from data: theory, algorithms, applications, software infrastructure and hardware infrastructure. We actively engage with the research community through publications, open source software, participation in technical conferences and workshops, and collaborations with academia to make significant progress. FAIR researchers work from our offices around the globe.As a Technical Program Manager, your job will be to build the tools & processes to improve the operational efficiency of FAIR's Research Scientists & Engineers. You will work closely with FAIR team members, internal partners, academic institutions, external partners, and vendors. To be successful, you will be eliminating barriers to your team's success, clearly communicating their work to all stakeholders and ensuring the big picture stays in focus while delving into the details on specific issues. Ideal team members are adaptable and resilient, eager to attack unfamiliar problems with curiosity and tenacity, and able to use a light touch to find ways to help the team be more efficient.The right candidate will be an excellent communicator, passionate about fundamental research, comfortable with ambiguous environments, and can move fast, bring people together, focus squarely in advancing the science forward.
- Organize organic research programs to ensure easy discoverability of problems, people & progress.
- Drive the development of simple tools and processes to provide ongoing tracking of progress & key milestones.
- Provide coordination support and improve collaboration among scientists working on similar areas.
- Increase awareness of research progress internally across FAIR leaders, AI organization and the company at large.
- Help Scientists & Engineers with planning, prioritization and risk management.
- Build on-boarding programs that help new scientists & engineers ramp up quickly on FAIR, Facebook AI & FB tools, systems & processes.
- Partner with FAIR Research Leads to organize workshops & events needed to further research agenda.
- Proactively identify technical, legal, procedural, logistical, and communication issues and drive creative solutions to fix them and manage risk.
- Drive internal process improvements, remove gaps, coordinate multiple parties and alleviate bottlenecks.
- Map dependencies and relationships between research and teams.
- Establish excellent working relations with all partners with an emphasis on unblocking team members when they are stuck and managing cross functional engagements.
- Work independently with minimal supervision.
- M.S. in Computer Science or a related technical discipline, or equivalent experience.
- 7+ years of research, software engineering, or technical product/program management experience.
- Experience working directly with highly technical scientists, engineers, and senior management.
- Proven communication, coordination, and organizational skills and experience getting things done in a fast-paced environment.
- Proven organizational and coordination skills along with multitasking experience to get things done in a fast paced environment.
- Proven leadership skills and experience to motivate and focus a large team to reach challenging research goals.
- Proven interpersonal skills, including relationship building, and collaboration with a diverse, cross-functional, global team.
- Self-motivated, proactive with demonstrated creative and critical thinking experience.
- Experience working in AI/ML programs or teams.
- Experience operating autonomously across multiple teams, demonstrated critical thinking, and thought leadership.
- Experience delivering research programs or products from inception to delivery.
Back to top