Technical Program Manager
At Facebook Reality Labs (FRL), we're developing the future of augmented reality. As a Technical Program Manager, your job will be figuring out what we need to do to build it. You'll be a critical member of a multi-disciplinary team contributing to our efforts to gain a scientific understanding of audio, haptics, human perception, input, computer vision, optics, display technology, and whatever else we dream up to create the ultimate AR experience. You will work closely with internal Reality Labs teams, academic institutions, external partners, and vendors to help: define requirements and deliverables, schedule and track project progress, order and manage equipment, coordinate with other internal teams, schedule shared resources, and manage partner relationships. To be successful, you will be eliminating barriers to your team's success, clearly communicating their work to all stakeholders and ensuring the big picture stays in focus while delving into the details on specific issues. Ideal team members are adaptable and resilient, eager to attack unfamiliar problems with curiosity and tenacity, and able to use a light touch to find ways to help the team be more efficient.
- Program Manage our research lab's efforts to develop AR and VR hardware prototypes to demonstrate and study novel materials and manufacturing processes.
- Work with research teams to identify scope, constraints, dependencies, and risks.
- Develop project schedules to help them to complete research prototypes, user studies, and technology transfer to product teams.
- Ensure that the information your team needs is complete, current, accurate, and easy to find.
- Recognize when further information is required and work to provide it.
- Proactively identify technical, legal, procedural, logistical, and communication issues and drive creative solutions to fix them and manage risk.
- Identify resources needed and work closely with team leaders to maintain full visibility of the project schedule and potential roadblocks.
- Work with teams to alleviate project bottlenecks.
- Coordinate communication between internal and external teams.
- Drive deliverables from external partners and ensure that they have the information and resources needed to succeed.
- Bachelor's degree in Hardware Engineering, Chemistry, Physics, or engineering or scientific field.
- At least 6 years of experience as a project manager in research or hardware development.
- Experience building and managing relationships with hardware vendors and other external partners, including drafting statements of work and negotiating purchase agreements.
- Experience understanding and communicating technical information to non-experts.
- Experience building, coordinating, and maintaining schedules across multiple teams, managing shared resources, and coordinating with a legal team on IP or similar issues.
- Organizational and planning experience.
- Interpersonal experience with experience resolving conflicts.
- Experience operating autonomously across multiple teams.
- Track record of transitioning immature or emerging technologies into consumer products.
- Graduate degree in an engineering or scientific field.
- Experience in project management on consumer electronics prototype development.
Back to top