Technical Lead Manager, Data Center Facilities Engineering
- Reston, VA
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
Facebook is seeking a Mechanical Engineer with distinguished expertise in the field of the design and operation/maintenance of the Critical Facilities. Ideal candidate shall be a technical expert in the mechanical field (HVAC, Hydronics), and should have great hands-on experience in operation and maintenance of the complex mechanical systems. This candidate will be providing technical solutions, guidance to more engineers and Facebook's data center located mechanical engineers, and will drive global Facebook standardization initiatives. This position is full-time and it is located in Fremont, CA office.
- An expert in the field of operation and maintenance of Critical Facilities. Mentors other members on how to articulate complex concepts and implementation strategies for addressing critical issues that have company wide impact.
- Has specialized depth and/or breadth of expertise in the operation and maintenance of Critical Facilities. Is sought for expertise within the organization, both within and beyond its own function.
- Plans, executes, and evaluates complex assignments that have a broad impact on the business. Support Facebook's engineers in developing best engineering solutions and practices.
- Troubleshooting of complex Critical Facilities operational problems, and development of the best corrective actions to avoid the same in the future.
- Independently and proactively identifies business drivers that impact Facebook as a whole and works with key partnerships to address potential areas of concerns and identify new areas of value.
- Identifies and leads large programs or initiatives across cross functional teams in Facebook. Leads team of mechanical engineers on complex projects with mechanical systems.
- Definition and rollout of new engineering standards and recommendations.
- Provide strong understanding of hardware and network topology with proven knowledge of data center systems operation, troubleshooting, and optimization.
- Act as point of escalation for complex system malfunctions, driving Root Cause Analysis process with cross functional team.
- Continuously evaluates facility processes in place, and identifies opportunities to drive better efficiencies of our Data Center mechanical systems.
- Collaborate closely with the other Facility Engineering teams - Electrical, Chemical (Water Treatment), and Controls to identify, develop and drive complex technical initiatives that positively impact Facebook's data center operations.
- Collaborate closely with the other cross functional teams in Facebook - Construction, Field Operations, Vendors, Design, Hardware to ensure best outcome for Facebook's projects.
- Communication of technical ideas in a clear and easy to understand manner, to a wide group of audiences including technical, leadership, and cross-functional partners. Communicates effectively up, down, sideways, and tailors message appropriately for audiences. Understand and parse out what is relevant and important to peers and leadership.
- Travel to Data center sites to support implementation, commissioning, startup, and operation of Facebook critical Facilities.
- Exercise wide latitude in determining strategic objectives and approaches to critical assignments. Requires minimal guidance from management for structuring and leading teams.
- Actively involved in sourcing, interviewing and closing candidates for immediate and adjacent teams. Identifies development opportunities for other team members and provides coaching and technical mentorship to other IC's from within and outside of their org.
- Approximately 20-30% travel.
- Bachelor's degree and PE license in Mechanical engineering.
- 15+ years of combined experience in Operation and Maintenance, Design, Construction and Retrofits of Mechanical (HVAC) systems.
- Comprehensive expertise and knowledge of the HVAC systems and components: Air Handlers, Chilled Water systems, Psychrometric processes, Condensers, CRAC and DX units, Hot/Cold aisle containment, Pumps, Pipework, Fans, Ductwork, Plumbing equipment, Fire protection systems and equipment, common engineering materials used in HVAC equipment.
- Working knowledge and familiarity of other Critical Facility systems such electrical power distribution, emergency power supply (generators), life safety systems, water treatment systems.
- Proven experience in developing and implementing strategic and tactical initiatives and processes within the organization. Has consistent track record of producing thorough, higher quality output that establishes the business strategy alongside a specific recommendation and execution plan.
- Proven knowledge of ASHRAE and NFPA codes for Critical Facilities and commercial HVAC systems.
- Understanding of Hardware and network topology with proven knowledge of data center systems operation, troubleshooting, and optimization.
- Familiarity with the main HVAC equipment manufacturers and vendors, available on the US market. Familiarity with HVAC equipment on other EU/International markets.
- Familiarity with the other EU/International codes.
Back to top