Technical Artist (Social VR)
(Menlo Park, CA)
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities — we're just getting started.
Social VR is seeking an experienced Artist to provide Technical Art Direction on our content team in Menlo Park. Technical Artists are generally responsible for the technical aspects of art asset development. This entails working closely with Art and Engineering to develop and support the asset pipeline, animation & rigging tools, animation rigs, real-time effects, and materials while also leading the Technical Art team.
- Design and build animation rigs for characters, creatures, props, etc.
- Develop Maya tools and plug-ins for rigging and animation production
- Work closely with Character Artists on mesh topology and asset build plans optimized for animation/deformation and shading
- Work with Animation and Engineering to develop run-time character animation trees and supporting tech in UE4 or other technologies
- Research new methods of efficiently prototyping and building complex real-time assets such as realistic facial and body deformation rigs
- Develop broad technical expertise to assist in a wide variety technical and artistic tasks
- Manage or lead the technical art team and provide troubleshooting, support and mentorship to members of the Art and Technical Art teams.
- 6+ years of relevant experience as a Technical Artist with an emphasis on Character/Creature work
- Experience rigging and skinning character assets
- 5+ years experience with Maya Python/PyMEL, C++ API, PySide/PyQt
- Experience collaborating on multi-disciplinary teams
- Knowledge of anatomy and kinematics
- Experience shipping projects
- Experience communicating across team members including engineers, researchers and artists.
- Experience working with prototype technology and help drive experiences and demos in support.
- Experience working with UE4 and/or Unity
- Advanced facial rigging experience
- PBR shader knowledge
- Experience creating real-time FX
- Experience with fracturing & rigid body simulation
- Experience with cloth and hair simulation
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Manager, Global Client Solutions
Peipei helps Facebook’s top clients devise solution-based and results-driven social media strategies. She creates strategic partnerships to help people and brands connect in a more meaningful way.
Back to top