Technical Artist - Research (VR)
Careers at Oculus
Part of Facebook
As an experienced Technical Artist on the Oculus Research team, you will be working at the cutting edge of Virtual Reality research. Working alongside world-class researchers, you will explore, prototype, and build solutions for a wide variety of short and long-term projects. You are a versatile problem solver who loves solving novel problems from first principles. Join a world-class team experimenting with bold ideas in areas including optics, haptics, tracking, displays, rendering, computer vision, user experience, audio, and perceptual psychology. Work alongside expert Scientists, Mechanical Engineers, Electrical Engineers and Software Engineers to create the technology that makes VR and AR pervasive and universal. Join the adventure of a lifetime as we make science fiction real and change the world. Please note this position is a set term employment and forecast for up to 2 years.
- You will develop a wide variety of assets, tools and experience prototypes working as a technical art generalist on a small team.
- Partner closely with engineers, technical artists and designers from multiple teams to define and develop content and technical solutions in Maya, Houdini, Unreal Engine 4 (UE4), Unity and other real-time and offline applications.
- Conceptualize, present and execute ideas within time and technical constraints while actively participating in technical and artistic problem solving.
- Build and support 3D art assets from scratch as well as assemble existing content from a library of assets and other projects.
- Work closely with engineers to implement interactive objects and systems in UE4 Blueprint.
- Develop Maya rigs, tools and plug-ins for rigging and animation applications.
- Research new methods of efficiently prototyping and building complex real-time assets such as realistic facial and body deformation rigs.
- Develop broad technical expertise in UE4 and Unity to assist in a wide variety of technical and artistic tasks.
- Learn constantly, dive into new areas with unfamiliar technologies, and embrace the ambiguity of VR/AR problem solving in a fast-paced environment.
- Proven experience rigging and skinning character assets.
- Knowledge in Maya Python, C++ API, PySide/PyQt.
- Knowledge of UE4 across a set of its features and systems.
- Knowledge of 3D modeling and asset creation packages like Maya, Substance Painter, Substance Designer, ZBrush, Knald, Marmoset, etc.
- Experience creating UE4 Blueprints for interactive gameplay systems.
- 6 or more years of experience in game development or a combination of visual effects and game development as a Technical Artist/TD.
- Proven track record of content development, including shipping one or more titles.
- Low and high-poly modeling skills, ability in texture and material creation and real-time lighting in UE4/Unity.
- Experience with skeletal animation systems in UE4 (Persona).
- Experience working/developing in Houdini.
- Experience working with modern PBR rendering pipelines (Redshift, Arnold, V-Ray, etc.).
- Experience working with Virtual Reality.
- Comfortable learning and exploring new tools and skills as needed.
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Global Marketing Lead, Facebook Blueprint
As the marketing lead for Facebook’s Blueprint program, Lauren focuses on building awareness around the program and the adoption of education and training by businesses and advertisers.
Back to top