Tech Lead - On-device Sensing
- Menlo Park, CA
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
As a Tech Lead at Facebook Reality Labs, you will be responsible for productizing a sensor subsystem that is core to delivering transformative experiences in next generation Oculus VR products. You will join an agile team that is laser-focused on incubating winning prototypes, establishing new process capabilities with supply-chain partners, and releasing product sub-systems that are fully hardened for high-volume manufacturing (HVM). We want someone who can lead a cross-functional team that comprises a wide range of disciplines, who works through others and goes between brainstorming big ideas and paying relentless attention to critical performance, yield, and integration milestones. Based on a robust engineering background, candidates should have earned their track record of bringing multiple products from concept into HVM.
- Design & development of sensing technologies that integrate into the Oculus VR product roadmap.
- Define sub-system requirements with the product team, then deliver VR hardware, software, and calibration that meets specifications. This includes: hardware (optics, electronics, mechanics, silicon, sensor, data-communication), software (computer vision algorithms, calibration, modeling, analysis), and performance analysis.
- Deliver prototypes and Plan of Record systems.
- Support the TPM in evaluation, validation, and delivery to specs by metrology, user studies, safety studies, FEMA analysis, environmental analysis, and dogfooding.
- Collaborate closely with other AR/VR subcomponents and systems and ensure successful integration.
- Establish processes and quality testing necessary for delivery of robust/reliable software.
- Engage with all internal stake-holders and users across multiple research and engineering teams.
- Define testing and qualification plans at different stages of hardware development, from concept to product ramp.
- Identify external partnerships and work with the TPM and corresponding engineer to manage the partnership.
- Identify key hardware and software risks and work with team to develop and implement contingencies.
- Document information necessary for manufacturing, calibration, testing, and integration.
- Able to lead ambiguous programs to completion with little oversight or clear definition.
- BS or MS in Engineering, or equivalent experience.
- Experience designing consumer products, at least 1 full product life cycle concept to launch.
- 5+ years cross-functional system experience, working through others.
- Proven track record of product development.
- Development and execution experience in building process on manufacturing scale.
- Experience with multiple full life cycle product launches.
- Experience with 3D tracking methods, algorithms, devices and systems.
- Experience with design/manufacturing of small form-factor sensing or imaging systems.
- Process development experience for optical parts, sensors, computer vision, software and hardware integration.
- Experience developing manufacturing process(es) for coatings, molding, replication, diamond-turning.
- Rapid prototyping experience (i.e. 3D printing, laser cutting, etc.).
- Experience in opto-mechanical integration and system design.
Back to top