Systems Engineer, Databases
(Menlo Park, CA)
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities — we're just getting started.
Facebook is seeking a Systems Engineer to join the Engineering Infrastructure team and build abstractions and APIs around our large scale databases and application systems. We are looking for a talented engineer who can build and support a wide range of internal corporate databases and applications that Facebook relies on to keep the business growing and information safe. This is a full-time position based in our Menlo Park office.
- Build systems, tools and framework around automation, monitoring and standardization initiatives
- Develop high quality high performance distributed systems in Python, C/C++, Java, PHP.
- Develop upon and integrate with other services within the Facebook application and development stacks.
- Work closely with other engineering teams to understand and mitigate issues and improve performance.
- Participate in an on-call schedule.
- Work closely with Facebook operations teams to help develop and optimize solutions.
- Implement High Availability and Disaster Recovery solutions for both databases and applications
- Engineer automated solutions and custom tools, while leveraging Facebook's internal tools and infrastructure to streamline and reduce operational overhead
- BS in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- 4+ years experience with UNIX and TCP/IP network fundamentals
- 4+ years experience writing Java, Python or PHP software
- 2+ years experience developing software implementing API functionality using REST, Thrift, JSON or similar
- 2+ years of experience using configuration management software like chef, puppet, salt, ansible, etc.
- 2+ years working with basic large-scale internet service architectures (such as load balancing, LAMP, CDN's)
- 2+ years working with relational databases (Oracle, MySQL, PostgreSQL)
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Manager, Global Client Solutions
Peipei helps Facebook’s top clients devise solution-based and results-driven social media strategies. She creates strategic partnerships to help people and brands connect in a more meaningful way.
Back to top