Storage Engineer, RTP
(Menlo Park, CA)
Facebook’s mission is to give people the power to share, and make the world more open and connected. Through our growing family of apps and services, we’re building a different kind of company that helps billions of people around the world connect and share what matters most to them. Whether we’re creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to make the world more open and accessible. Connecting the world takes every one of us—and we’re just getting started.
Facebook is seeking a Storage Engineer to join our RTP (Release to Production) Team. Our servers and data centers are the foundation upon which our rapidly scaling infrastructure efficiently operates and our innovative services are delivered. RTP Engineers will work closely with server and Data Center Engineering, Storage H/W Design, H/W ODMs, Storage Media Vendors, and Capacity Engineering to thoroughly test and validate that our systems will be manageable at large scale. This position is full-time and located in our Menlo Park office.
- Interface with external Storage H/W vendors, external Storage Media vendors, and internal hardware, mechanical, power, thermal and software engineers to understand system architecture to develop and execute the test suites for various storage architectures
- Create and update out software, firmware, hardware, thermal, and mechanical test plans for various storage solutions by partnering with the appropriate subject matter expert individual or teams
- Partner with the Vendor Management Team to evaluate components and provide inputs for reliability and feasibility
- Execute tests according to plan, while keeping a through procedural record and data log
- Maintain our automated test infrastructure, through the use of scripted languages and remotely controlled test equipment
- Develop and publish test reports and communicate findings to team members using appropriate communication channels
- Diagnose and drive root cause of system failures and isolate failing components and articulating the impact to application
- Respond on an as-needed basis to emergencies and provided remedy for catastrophic failure events
- 3+ years of work experience in Storage Hardware or Software
- Experience in Linux and scripting ability
- 3+ years working with HDD Vendors and/or Storage Server Suppliers
- Must be hands on in changing system configurations and enabling new Hardware Add Ons such as new RAID card and/or Flash
- Experience with HDD server and storage architectures
- Familiar with at least one of the following: PCIe, SCSI, SAS, SATA, iSCSI, FC, IB, or NAS
- Troubleshooting and analytical skills
- Familiar with lab equipment, protocol analyzers, oscilloscopes, power meters, air flow chambers
- 2+ years experience in 24×7 Production support at scale (e.g. – 10K storage servers and over 100K HDD)
- 2+ years scripting automation in Python or PHP or Perl.
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Sr. Manager, WhatsApp Customer Support & Localization
Cristina manages the WhatsApp customer experience, translating the application into multiple languages and troubleshooting communication services worldwide.
Back to top