Storage Engineer, HDD
(Menlo Park, CA)
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to share, and make the world more open and connected. Through our growing family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that helps billions of people around the world connect and share what matters most to them. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to make the world more open and accessible. Connecting the world takes every one of us—and we're just getting started.
As a Storage Engineer at Facebook, you will work on the storage hardware team designing and building storage products for our data centers. This includes translating requirements with internal and external customers, working with HDD vendors, developing hardware roadmaps, and working with qualification teams to develop and execute test plans.
- Storage I/O infrastructure (HDD, RAID) in many aspects, including, but not limited to, performance, cost, capacity, endurance, power efficiency, durability and data integrity
- Collaborate with hardware systems engineers and hardware electrical engineers to develop specifications for storage servers.
- Understand requirements from different storage application teams
- Work closely with HDD and storage controller vendors to propose, develop, test and deploy technology optimized for Facebook storage server designs.
- Understand the underlying technologies of Hard Disk Drives (HDD), SAS controllers and expanders
- Evaluate various storage technology solutions, from HW components and architecture to data transport protocols and topologies
- Design and assist development of automatic infrastructure to allow all diagnosis of HW faults and tools for inducing faults
- Storage management protocols such as SCSI Enclosure Services (SES) and work with software teams to develop HW/SW that will be used to manage and monitor large fleets of storage
- Drive and lead the team to build up various suites and tools for productizing new storage HW
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering or closely related field
- Minimum of 3 years of experience with HDD
- Experience with Intel x86 platform and Storage I/O (HDD, RAID) hardware
- Experience with SSDs, SAS, SATA, PCIe
- Familiar with object and block storage applications and protocols.
- Experience with SSD qualification processes.
- Experience with programming skills and significant in Shell scripting and C/C++
- Familiar with system and Linux/Unix programming
- Experience with HDDs
- Experience with unit testing, integration testing and test development
- Experience with HDD qualification processes.
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Manager, Global Client Solutions
Peipei helps Facebook’s top clients devise solution-based and results-driven social media strategies. She creates strategic partnerships to help people and brands connect in a more meaningful way.
Back to top