State Estimation and Calibration Scientist, PhD University Grad (Oculus)
Careers at Oculus
Part of Facebook
Oculus is a world leader in the design of virtual reality systems. We are currently seeking innovative researchers with a passion for technology to break new ground in sensing and machine perception at our research location in Redmond, WA. Within the Oculus Research Surreal Vision team, the aim of this role focuses on formulating a new generation of end-to-end real-time 3D scene understanding systems working across novel mobile sensor design, state estimation, computer vision and large scale online inference and optimization. The position requires a PhD in state estimation, inertial/optical/acoustic sensor modelling or computer vision with a combination of theoretical expertise and applied experience in mathematical optimization, algorithm design and experiential methods. The ideal applicant will have demonstrated the skill of significant research innovation as well as the capability of building strongly proven real world systems.
- Plan and execute cutting edge research to advance the state of the art in sensor modelling and calibration across optical/inertial/acoustic sensing domains using online and offline estimation methods
- Develop advanced technologies by applying scientific methods to enable advanced general scene understanding in collaboration with other researchers and engineers
- Work with the team to help design, setup, and run practical experiments related to large scale long-duration sensing and machine reasoning
- Collaborate with other researchers and engineers across both machine and human perception teams at Facebook to develop experiments, prototypes and concepts that advance the state of the art in AR/VR systems
- Currently has or is in the process of obtaining a PhD degree or completing a postdoctoral assignment in the field of State Estimation, Sensor Modelling, Mathematics or a related field
- 2+ years experience with state estimation, system identification and calibration of inertial/optical/acoustic sensors
- 2+ years experience with developing 3D geometry, and physics based models and simulation of sensing/perception systems
- 3+ years experience with real world system building and data collection, including design, coding (C++) and evaluation (C++/Python/Matlab)
- A documented history of sound experimental practice and increasing responsibilities and decision-making experience
- Interpersonal skills: cross-group and cross-culture collaboration
- Must be available to start employment on or after January 1, 2018
- Ability to obtain work authorization in the United States beginning in 2018
- Experience with calibration/parameter estimation in the context of consumer devices or large sensor deployments.
- Experience with design and productization of inertial/optical/acoustic sensing devices.
- Proven track record of achieving academic results, including papers at conferences such as RSS, ICRA, CVPR, ECCV/ICCV, NIPS etc.
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Global Marketing Lead, Facebook Blueprint
As the marketing lead for Facebook’s Blueprint program, Lauren focuses on building awareness around the program and the adoption of education and training by businesses and advertisers.
Back to top