Sourcing Manager, Backbone
(Menlo Park, CA – Seattle, WA)
Facebook’s mission is to give people the power to share, and make the world more open and connected. Through our growing family of apps and services, we’re building a different kind of company that helps billions of people around the world connect and share what matters most to them. Whether we’re creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to make the world more open and accessible. Connecting the world takes every one of us—and we’re just getting started.
The Sourcing Manager will act as the primary contact for product and services sourcing with the Facebook supply base. Sourcing activities will include but not be limited to identification of product and service availability and options, developing and setting a negotiation and sourcing strategy, partnering with Facebook Network Engineering and Planning to develop a business and technology roadmap for the Facebook Backbone Network and driving strategic sourcing decisions primarily in North America and globally as needed. The Sourcing Manager will lead and support the development, implementation and management of strategies to provide the Facebook production network with best in class transport pricing, optimal flexibility, and unmatched delivery and availability performance. Working closely with the Network Engineering, and Planning Teams, the Sourcing Manager will communicate and implement strategies, contracts and pricing with an overall focus on maintaining long term partner relationships and managing total costs of ownership to a minimum. This position reports to the Manager of Backbone Procurement and is based in our Seattle office.
- Contract Strategy and Execution:
- Lead the business negotiation process with internal partners and supplier.
- Own closure on contract.
- Develop negotiation approach, fallback positions, acceptable terms and conditions through to closure.
- Lead identification of sourcing options for Cable Landing Station connectivity into the Facebook backbone or major metro POP’s.
- Support development of strategies for joint builds on new terrestrial routes to meet Facebooks’ unique topology requirements, and drive commercial execution and delivery of such projects. This will be driven by identification and mentorship of strategic partnerships and will require strong business development and project management skill sets.
- Works closely with engineering and planning teams to generate RFP/RFQ and requirements documents.
- Cost Modeling:
- Own and provide industry and actual unit and service cost data which feeds into TCO and RFx.
- Drive continual improvement of productivity.
- Technology Roadmap:
- Partner with Facebook Network Engineering to coordinate suppliers and review supplier technology and services roadmaps.
- Preferred Supplier Management:
- Identify, qualify and formalize which suppliers are FB’s preferred supplier list.
- Partner with internal stakeholders to ensure alignment.
- Guide business to PSL.
- On time Delivery: Measure, report and action to improve delivery performance.
- Travel and work with Asia (evening work).
- BA/BS or equivalent in technical or business related field with at least 10 years of relevant experience.
- At least 7 years of Sourcing Management or Supply Chain Management experience in Network related products and services.
- Experience with materials, purchasing, and supply chain processes.
- Must be analytical and results focused.
- Business and technical experience in fiber optic backbone networks, their operation and associated performance and cost models.
- Prior leadership or management experience.
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Sr. Manager, WhatsApp Customer Support & Localization
Cristina manages the WhatsApp customer experience, translating the application into multiple languages and troubleshooting communication services worldwide.
Back to top