Software Engineering Manager, Network Systems
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities â€" we're just getting started.
The Facebook Network Systems Team is part of the overall Facebook Infrastructure organization and develops software for our entire network. We cover our ever-growing data centers, the global backbone that connects all our locations, and our edge points-of-presence. Our software stacks covers everything from our own programmable switch software (FBOSS) to our platform for modelling, automation, and monitoring of the entire network, to network-wide control systems, analytics, and planning/design tools. We are looking for a manager who will lead the group developing planning/design tools and network analytics, working in conjunction with our control systems. Specific experience in developing network-wide software or distributed systems is required. Generally, we embrace entrepreneurs as well as those who come from more established organizations. Software Engineering Managers are clearly characterized by progressive technical experience and demonstrated progression in management responsibility. You have also kept your coding skills sharp and bring an unwavering passion for managing the dynamics of a fast-paced environment.
- Be a highly technical manager with deep experience in networking, systems, and software
- Hold your own in technical discussions, be a subject matter expert, and have strategic influence
- Help define and drive regular development of an aggressive technical roadmap to meet the needs of the team, and partner teams
- Operate in a rapidly evolving environment, adapting quickly to new information and re-prioritizing as needed
- Manage engineers working to build, scale, deploy and support network systems for our global network infrastructure
- Partner closely with Facebook datacenter, backbone, and edge network engineering teams and other software infrastructure teams
- Be an effective people manager
- Help engineers develop their careers, assigning them to projects tailored to their skill levels, long-term skill development, personalities, and work styles
- Assess employee performance frequently, address under-performance, and recognize and promote excellent performance
- Work closely with dedicated recruiting staff to expand the team, including sourcing candidates, interviewing candidates, participating in conferences/events, and onboarding new employees
- Communicate cross-functionally and drive engineering efforts
- 2+ years experience managing a networking-related software engineering team
- Knowledge of networking and distributed systems
- Experience in network-wide analytics/design tools and/or control systems (SDN) for large-scale networks
- BS or MS in Computer Science, Engineering, or a related technical discipline or equivalent experience
- Demonstrated ability to recruit and manage technical teams, including performance management and managing engineers.
- Knowledge of networking fundamentals
- Communications skills and detail-oriented
Back to top