Software Engineering Manager, Connectivity Programs
Facebook is actively expanding global access to the Internet through driving internet.org and our own Infra Connectivity Programs. The Connectivity Lab projects are building new lower-layer networking technologies to provide cost-efficient access around the world. These projects require networking software, not unlike the kind we write for our data centers, backbone, and edge networks. We are moving aggressively to bring these new technologies into production, leveraging as many best practices from our networking and infra software portfolio, and actively creating many new systems and algorithms along the way. Managing and growing this new team will require someone with a broad skill set/experience, covering driver/device software, server-side management and control systems, and general access networking knowledge. Vision and adaptability are a must as you help drive these new projects toward production. Generally, we embrace entrepreneurs as well as those who come from more established organizations. Software Engineering Managers are clearly characterized by progressive technical experience and demonstrated progression in management responsibility. You have also kept your coding skills sharp and bring an unwavering passion for managing the dynamics of a fast-paced environment.
SOFTWARE ENGINEERING MANAGER, CONNECTIVITY PROGRAMS RESPONSIBILITIES
- Be a highly technical manager with deep experience in networking, systems, and software:
- Hold your own in technical discussions, be a subject matter expert, and have strategic influence
- Help define and drive regular development of an aggressive technical roadmap to meet the needs of the team, and partner teams
- Operate in a rapidly evolving environment, adapting quickly to new information and re-prioritizing as needed
- Partner with hardware platform groups, network engineering, and other software infrastructure groups
- Be an effective people manager:
- Help engineers develop their careers, assigning them to projects tailored to their skill levels, long-term skill development, personalities, and work styles
- Assess employee performance frequently, address under-performance, and recognize and promote excellent performance
- Work closely with dedicated recruiting staff to expand the team, including sourcing candidates, interviewing candidates, participating in conferences/events, and on-boarding new employees
- Communicate cross-functionally and drive engineering efforts
- 5+ years experience managing a networking-related software engineering team
- Experience in developing/delivering software for networking devices/appliances (driver/firmware, hardware dependent/independent layers, platform/system management) and in deploying those devices, ideally with Wi-Fi or other wireless background
- BS or MS in Computer Science, Engineering, or a related technical discipline or equivalent experience
- Demonstrated ability to recruit and manage technical teams, including performance management and managing engineers experience
- Knowledge of networking fundamentals
- Communications skills and detail-oriented
Facebook is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com .
RELATED JOB OPENINGS
- Manager, Software Engineering
- Research Intern, AI System Code Design
Menlo Park, CA + 2 More
- Research Scientist, Systems and Infrastructure (PhD)
Menlo Park, CA + 4 More
- Software Engineer, Infrastructure
- Software Engineer, Machine Learning
- Software Engineer, iOS
Facebook is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org . Requests sent to this email address that do not pertain to disability or religious accommodations cannot be answered.
Questions? Check out our FAQs.
Back to top