Software Engineer, Web Performance
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
Facebook.com (http://facebook.com/) is one of the most-visited web properties in the world. Given our scale and ever-increasing complexity of our feature set, it's a non-trivial problem to keep the web application performant. Efficient use of device and network resources is key, and scaling that to all devices and OSs is challenging. The Web Speed team is responsible for client performance and architecture of facebook.com (http://facebook.com/). We have deep knowledge of the full application stack, running from server through network to the browser. We are experts at efficient use of device resources to enable our site to run in resource-constrained environments. We build client and server-side product infrastructure that minimize performance overhead of features on the website. Our team also works directly with browser vendors and on W3C standards, to shape the web itself and how it performs on client devices. We own high-visibility performance metrics such as Homepage Display Time. These have a large and direct impact on over 2 billion Facebook users and are key to enabling the next billion people to access Facebook. Our team is growing and we are looking for performance-minded engineers. The ideal candidate is comfortable digging into complex systems, identifying optimizations, and working with different feature teams to develop solutions. You will also drive the development of performance tools for investigation, regression tracking, and metrics reporting.
- Develop high-performance application frameworks
- Build world-class telemetry infrastructure
- Automate performance measurement and analysis
- Own high-visibility performance metrics
- Optimize CPU, RAM and network usage for our resource-intensive website
- Mentor engineers on performance best practices
- Work with browser vendors and on W3C standards
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Computer Science, Electronics, Electrical, or related field
- 5+ years of industry experience shipping production software
- Knowledge of systems architecture and performance trade-offs
- Experience with performance tuning at scale
- Experience working on browser internals
Back to top