Software Engineer (Video Codec)
We are the team who builds the video infrastructure that allows us to deliver video to 2 billion+ people around the world. We solve Video distribution at very large scale; pushing the envelope for video encoding. Want to solve unique, large scale, highly complex technical problems? Facebook is seeking experienced Video Engineers to join our teams. You can help build the next-generation of video encoders and lead the industry in distributed encoding; enabling us to scale our videos that help connect billions of people. Join us! This position is full-time and based in our Menlo Park, CA office.
SOFTWARE ENGINEER (VIDEO CODEC) RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead the definition, design and prototyping of algorithms for improving the quality and performance of Facebook's cloud-based video ingest and transcoding pipeline.
- Pursue areas for improvement in compression quality and speed.
- Research next-gen image and video coding and propose technology for industry standards.
- Participate in standardization efforts and research conferences.
- Improve video experience on Facebook by optimizing existing pipeline, reduce compute envelope while maintaining quality.
- Knowledge in video compression with 7+ years experience in modern video codec standards -H.264/AVC, H.265/HEVC, SVC, VP9.
- Experience in digital signal processing and information theory, knowledge with computer vision and Machine learning for video inference/understanding.
- Experience with video/image processing algorithms such as tone mapping, scaling, noise reduction and image/video quality metrics.
- Hands-on experience with rate-distortion optimization techniques, rate-control, entropy coding and pre-processing techniques.
- Programming and C/C++ coding experience.
- MS or PhD in CS, EE or related field with relevant research publications or contributions to video standards
- Involvement in open-source multimedia projects such as FFmpeg, x264, WebM, VLC, LibVPX.
- Experience with hardware accelerated video processing, performance optimization.
- Experience with video processing on large-scale distributed systems and cloud-computing.
- Experience with FFmpeg filters/FFmpeg APIs or other video frameworks - DXVA2, MFT, DShow, GStreamer, VAAPI.
- Familiarity with container formats - mp4/WebM/MPEG-2 TS, transmuxing and streaming protocols (DASH/RTMP/HLS).
Facebook is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com .
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Yumeng T.Research Scientist
Yumeng spends her days working with machine learning models for search products and completing product-level coding projects.
Back to top