Software Engineer, Security (Data Privacy)
(London, United Kingdom)
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities — we're just getting started.
Facebook's Data Privacy team is seeking software engineers with expertise in storage systems and security to help secure the data of people using Facebook. We build the systems that protect the privacy of the people who use Facebook. Our work covers a variety of areas, including (1) enforcing proper retention, deletion, use, and exposure of user data, consistent with the data privacy expectations of the people who use Facebook, (2) ensuring deletion of data that people entrust with us from online storage systems, (3) implementing tools to anonymize data in one of the largest data warehouses in the world, (4) participating in the validation of internal privacy controls, (5) demonstrating the effectiveness of FB's privacy program to external parties, and (6), improving our product infrastructure by making it easy for engineers to make the right choices around privacy when building their products.We are looking for someone who loves working at scale, building reliable systems and processes, and who is passionate about keeping user data secure.
- Proactively develop software to support user data deletion and anonymization.
- Lead improvements to underlying data access APIs and product infrastructure
- Implement robust enforcement mechanisms to safeguard user data privacy with minimal developer input
- Work with engineering and legal teams to understand data retention, deletion, use and exposure requirements
- B.S. or M.S. in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent experience
- Knowledge of computer security concepts and practical experience applying them to real-world problems
- Experience developing in a large Object Oriented codebase
- Strong communication skills
- Experience building storage systems, or alternatively, large-scale distributed systems
- Ability to work cross-functionally with partner product and infrastructure teams and drive changes
- Knowledge of PHP, C++
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Manager, Global Client Solutions
Peipei helps Facebook’s top clients devise solution-based and results-driven social media strategies. She creates strategic partnerships to help people and brands connect in a more meaningful way.
Back to top