Software Engineer, Search Ranking
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
Facebook Search puts people and their stories at the center. It lets you tap into the global conversation about something that's happening in the world, and helps you find people's stories and their perspectives. People use Facebook search over 1.5B times a day, searching over 1.5 billion people and trillion pieces of shared content, e.g. posts, photos, videos, and links. The goal of the search ranking/NLP team is to assist the users to complete their intents, and to provide the most relevant and personalized set of results for these intents and unlock this wealth of information that exists on Facebook. We develop ranking algorithms that are a three way optimization between the query, searcher, and the content. We are investing and growing in almost every area that generates signals and contributes to this optimization - query and intent understanding, natural language processing, deriving ranking features from Facebook graph, content and user engagement. We use state of the art machine learning algorithms to combine thousands of these features into the production ranking models to generate the relevant search results at scale.
- Indexing and feature engineering for people, entities, posts, photos, videos and more
- Trending topics detection and ranking.
- Natural language processing for query and document understanding at Facebook scale.
- Machine learning infrastructure and platform for search ranking.
- Ranking quality evaluation and data analysis.
- Large-scale backend services and product integration
- MS in Computer Science or related technical field with 5+ years of applied ranking or machine learning experience, or PhD in Computer Science or related technical field
- Background in Machine Learning
- Programming experience in C, C++, Java or Python
- Experience with Information Retrieval, Ranking Systems, Recommendation Systems or Artificial Intelligence
- Knowledge of map-reduce/Hadoop
- Knowledge of distributed systems
Back to top