Software Engineer, Real-Time Video
- Menlo Park, CA
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
We are the team that builds the Real-Time media stack for low-latency media connections at global scale. Do you want to build new features and improve existing products that connect people in real-time via Messenger, Instagram, Facebook, Oculus, and more? Want to solve unique, large scale, highly complex technical problems? Facebook is seeking experienced Video Engineers to join our team. You can help build the future of products that connects the next billion people, create new features that enrich lives and connect people at a global scale. Be a part of a team that's working to help people connect with each other around the globe. Join us!
You will be personally responsible for the video stack in a real-time communication engine, which includes codecs, tuning, media capture, data collection, and feedback to product teams about new feature capabilities. Must be skilled using data collected in the field at global scale (i.e. many regions, networks, devices, and people) to identify areas of improvement, or be passionate about learning this skill on the job.
- Lead the optimization and improvement in video codec efficiency, encoder rate control, speed, video pre/post-processing and error resilience
- Improve end-to-end video experiences on lossy network in real-time communication scenario
- Identify various opportunities to optimize in video codec, pipeline, error resilience
- Define the video optimization roadmap for both low-end and high-end network and devices
- Lead the definition and implementation of media processing pipeline
- 4+ years of experience with H.264/AVC, H.265/HEVC, VP8/VP9 video codec standards.
- Experience with at least one of the mainstream video codecs (OpenH264/x264/x265/libvpx).
- Experience drafting or modifying video encoders
- Experience with Software Development processes including: source control, bug tracking, and design documentation
- Experience collaborating cross-functionally between groups with different video technologies and pipelines
- BS, MS or PhD in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or related field
- Experience in WebRTC
- Experience in video with networking
- Experience with software services, web and cloud technologies
- Experience with hardware accelerated video processing
- Experience building FFmpeg filters or have worked with FFmpeg APIs
- Experience with Open CL, DirectX and Intel Media SDK programming
Back to top