Software Engineer, Real-Time Audio
- Redmond, WA
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
This team enables performant, reliable and high quality real-time communication products in Facebook with the best audio quality in the industry. The team owns audio charter for more than 550 million users that are using products including: Messenger, Facebook, Instagram, Portal etc.
We drive the charter for audio stack end-to-end for both desktop and mobile platforms and are working on variety of fascinating infrastructure problems including optimizations and improvements to WebRTC network protocols, codec optimizations to improve media quality, Noise and Echo cancelation algorithms, estimating network capabilities to adjust bandwidth usage, choosing the right audio routes like to speaker or Bluetooth devices etc.
We also have a new AI team focusing on applying ML techniques to media quality problems which will grow through 2020 and beyond. The initial problems that we are tackling with AI include: show notifications when users speak on mute, de noising before rendering on receiver end, upscaling video resolution on the client using ML, etc.
- Identify areas of performance, quality and reliability improvement for audio across web and mobile endpoints
- Design and conduct in field experiments with audio quality changes
- Perform design and code reviews
- BS or MS in Computer Science or Electrical Engineering or equivalent years of experience
- Experience with the VoIP or audio stack including codecs, audio capture/render, jitter buffer or signal processing
- Experience in C/C++ multi threaded programing
- Analytical skills to use data collected in the field at a global scale (i.e. many regions, networks, devices, and people) to identify areas of improvement
- Experience with device performance or network optimizations
- Experience with Media or WebRTC
- Experience with software services, web and cloud technologies
Facebook is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Facebook is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you need any assistance or accommodations due to a disability, please let us know at email@example.com.
Back to top