Software Engineer, PhD University Grad (Systems and Infrastructure)
(Menlo Park, CA - Seattle, WA)
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to share, and make the world more open and connected. Through our growing family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that helps billions of people around the world connect and share what matters most to them. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to make the world more open and accessible. Connecting the world takes every one of us—and we're just getting started.
We build systems that allow more than a billion people all over the world to connect and communicate using whatever devices they have available. Our systems need to be scalable, fast, reliable, and efficient in order to provide a great user experience. As we design and build these systems, Facebook engineers encounter grand challenges across all levels of systems—from data center, hardware, storage, mobile, to distributed systems, just to name a few. Moreover, fast evolving social apps and highly dynamic social workloads present us with many unique research opportunities. The entire Facebook platform is our lab for research, development, and innovation.
As a Software Engineer or Research Scientist at Facebook, you will help build the next generation of systems behind Facebook's products, create web applications that reach millions of people, build high volume servers and be a part of a team that's working to help connect people around the globe.
The ideal candidate will have a keen interest in relevant engineering fields, such as (but not limited to) distributed software systems, storage systems, data warehousing and analytics, database systems, operating systems, networking systems, programming languages, compilers & runtime systems, security & privacy and mobile systems.
- Build highly-scalable software systems using primarily C++ and Java.
- Design flexible APIs for Facebook product teams developing applications for web and mobile.
- Build detailed monitoring to track the health of these systems and quickly triage issues.
- Analyze the shortcomings of existing systems.
- Design and build next generation systems to constantly be at the cutting edge.
- PhD in Computer Science, related STEM or quantitative field or relevant experience
- Graduating with a PhD by December 2017, or completing a university postdoctoral assignment
- Research and/or work experience in Algorithms, Architecture, Programming Languages, Compilers, Database, Data Mining, Distributed Systems, Networking, or Systems
- Experience in C++, Java, Perl, PHP or Python
- Knowledge of relational databases and SQL
- Experience in Computer Science, with knowledge in systems, data structures and software design
- Interpersonal skills, cross-group and cross-culture collaboration
- Ability to obtain work authorization in the United States in 2017
- Demonstrated software engineer experience via an internship, work experience, coding competitions, or PhD papers
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Manager, Global Client Solutions
Peipei helps Facebook’s top clients devise solution-based and results-driven social media strategies. She creates strategic partnerships to help people and brands connect in a more meaningful way.
Back to top