Software Engineer, PhD Intern/Co-Op (Systems and Infrastructure)(2019)
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
Facebook's mission is to connect the world. We build systems that allow more than a billion people all over the world to connect and communicate using whatever devices they have available. Our systems need to be scalable, fast, reliable, and efficient in order to provide a great user experience. As we design and build these systems, Facebook engineers encounter grand challenges across all levels of systems-from data center, hardware, storage, mobile, to distributed systems, just to name a few. Moreover, fast evolving social apps and highly dynamic social workloads present us with many unique research opportunities. The entire Facebook platform is our lab for research, development, and innovation.
As a PhD intern at Facebook, you will help build the next generation of systems behind Facebook's products, create web applications that reach millions of people, build high volume servers and be a part of a team that's working to help connect people around the globe.
The ideal candidate will have a keen interest in relevant engineering fields, such as (but not limited to) distributed software systems, storage systems, data warehousing and analytics, database systems, operating systems, networking systems, programming languages, compilers & runtime systems, security & privacy and mobile systems.
As part of our hiring process, PhD interns are pre-assigned to a relevant team based on their expertise and interests.
This internship has a minimum twelve (12) week duration with Winter, Summer and Fall start dates.
- Build highly-scalable software systems using primarily C++ and Java.
- Design flexible APIs for Facebook product teams developing applications for web and mobile.
- Build detailed monitoring to track the health of these systems and quickly triage issues.
- Analyze the shortcomings of existing systems.
- Design and build next generation systems to constantly be at the cutting edge.
- Pursuing PhD in Computer Science, related STEM or quantitative field, or relevant experience
- Research and/or work experience in Algorithms, Architecture, Programming Languages, Compilers, Database, Data Mining, Distributed Systems, Security, Cryptography, Networking, and/or Systems
- Experience in systems software or algorithms
- Expertise in C++, Java, Perl, PHP or Python
- High levels of creativity and quick problem solving capabilities
- Proven track record of achieving significant results
- Ability to obtain work authorization in the United States in 2018
- Must obtain work authorization in country of employment at the time of hire, and maintain ongoing work authorization during employment
- Must be currently enrolled in a full-time degree program and returning to the program after the completion of the internship/co-op
- Demonstrated software engineer experience via an internship, work experience, coding competitions, or PhD papers
Back to top