Software Engineer, Network
(Menlo Park, CA)
Facebook’s mission is to give people the power to share, and make the world more open and connected. Through our growing family of apps and services, we’re building a different kind of company that helps billions of people around the world connect and share what matters most to them. Whether we’re creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to make the world more open and accessible. Connecting the world takes every one of us—and we’re just getting started.
Facebook is actively seeking software engineers to help build and scale our rapidly evolving network infrastructure. We are looking for software engineers with a passion for networking and aptitude for building scalable distributed systems. As a member of this small and growing team, you will be in charge of designing and implementing how we build, model, analyze and monitor Facebook’s current and next generation networks. In addition to software development, your duties may involve evaluating third party and open source software, interacting with various other Engineering teams and working with network hardware vendors. There is a wide range of areas to work on, spanning next-gen datacenter networking architecture (e.g., OpenFlow or similar technologies for software defined networking), software systems to configure, monitor, analyze, model, and manage our datacenter, backbone, and content delivery networks. This is a full-time position based in our Menlo Park, CA office.
- Develop software to scale the Facebook production network
- Work with networking devices and protocols
- Integrate with other systems, evaluate third party solutions
- Collaborate with Network Engineering team to automate various processes, build software infrastructure for network monitoring and analysis, aid in capacity planning and architecture change analysis.
- Bachelors in Computer Science or related field is preferred
- Experience with network devices (routers, switches, load balancers) and a good understanding of network routing protocols
- Web traffic experience related to data centers and websites
- Experience with design and implementation of network management systems
- 2+ years of experience in C / C++ and Python
- 2+ years experience in Systems programming, TCP/IP, HTTP/HTTPS, DNS, SPDY, DNS, and load balancers
- Proficient with MySQL databases
- Solid understanding of the Linux operating system
- Ability to debug issues within custom code quickly
- A passion for developing scalable and optimized software systems
- High aptitude and technology-agnostic approach to engineering.
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Sr. Manager, WhatsApp Customer Support & Localization
Cristina manages the WhatsApp customer experience, translating the application into multiple languages and troubleshooting communication services worldwide.
Back to top