Software Engineer, Machine Learning (Places Data)
- New York, NY
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
Facebook Reality Lab's mission is "To give people the tools to feel connected anytime, anywhere." The teams working on augmented and virtual reality technologies at Facebook are on a mission to build the next computing platform centered around people. We continue to push the state-of-the-art with groundbreaking research into emerging technologies and hardware that will help bring this vision to life. We are building a team focused on building new products that support this mission.
The Places Data team is responsible for a graph of millions of location nodes and billions of edges connecting them. AR/VR products will be consuming the places data graph to power incredible experiences we haven't seen in the world to date. As a Software Engineer, you will enable places search and discovery via new surfaces and interfaces. You will mentor and set direction for many ML engineers who look to you to identify what improvements the stack needs to make over the next several years in order to achieve Facebook's augmented and virtual reality goals. You will work across organizations to help build products that leverage the places graph.
- Develop highly scalable classifiers and tools leveraging machine learning, data regression and rules based models
- You are strong advocate for ML excellence, consistently advance the state of ML for your team and the broader org
- Adapt standard machine learning methods to best exploit modern parallel environments (e.g. distributed clusters, multicore SMP and GPU)
- Lead integrations of new products that ease people's transition from 2D to 3D and generate crucial data for user and place modeling
- Plan the team's multi-year roadmap in which shorter term projects ladder to the long term vision
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or equivalent combination of education and experience
- 8+ years of experience in programming languages (Python, C++, Java or R) with technical background
- 5+ years of experience in one or more of the following areas: machine learning, recommendation systems, pattern recognition, NLP, data mining or artificial intelligence
- Experience in mentoring influencing senior engineers
- Experience with Hadoop/HBase/Pig or MapReduce/Sawzall/Bigtable/Hive/Spark
- Proficient with scripting languages such as Python, Perl, PHP, and/or shell scripts
- Expertise in the geospatial domain
Back to top