Software Engineer - Compression
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities â€" we're just getting started.
On the Reality Platform team, we are developing the future of virtual and augmented reality where we envisioned mobile, lightweight AR/VR devices with very low power consumption. To achieve our vision, we need to be able to generate, transmit and store vast amount of graphics, audio and other types of data in an extremely efficient fashion. You will be working with a small group of experts specialized in data compression to design end-to-end compression and streaming solutions for VR and AR. The position requires strong engineering capabilities to quickly prototype innovative solutions to challenging problems. Our goal is not just to harness the latest compression technologies, but also help push the limit of compression technology further. You will have chances to participate in the development of future compression technologies that not only benefit VR and AR, but also have an impact on Facebook as a whole or even across the industry.
- Optimize encoding schemes for different scenarios using existing compression algorithms.
- Build simulation software for custom compression and streaming algorithms.
- Build custom software toolkit to help development, test and quality evaluation of different compression algorithms.
- Collaborate with other teams to establish different QoS for various subsystems, and develop plans to meet the QoS.
- 5+ years industrial experience working in the field of image and video processing.
- 5+ years experience working with C/C++.
- Experience communicating and collaborating with other team members.
- Bachelor or Master degree in CS or EE.
- Understanding of real-time computer graphics pipeline, GPU hardware and ASIC development.
- Experience with hardware codecs, firmware/driver implementation, Hardware C simulation.
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Yumeng T.Research Scientist
Yumeng spends her days working with machine learning models for search products and completing product-level coding projects.
Back to top