Simulation Engineer, Mechanical/Structural
- Sunnyvale, CA
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
We are seeking an experienced Simulation Engineer with a strong background in modeling, analyzing, and developing solutions for a wide variety of mechanical and hardware challenges. Our ideal candidate approaches complex problems with an analytical mindset firmly rooted in engineering first-principles. They are unafraid to challenge underlying assumptions, consistently validate their analysis through rigorous prototyping and empirical testing, and are dedicated to delivering solutions in addition to insight. We want someone who works well in a highly collaborative, cross-functional environment, can drive clarity from ambiguity, communicates complex concepts clearly, and is unafraid to tackle new challenges. If you are passionate about using your analytical skills to push the boundaries of what is possible, we want you on our team.
- Deliver mechanical and physics-based modeling, simulation, and analysis
- Collaborate with designers, engineers, and other cross-functional partners to identify risks, strategically create simulations, plan and conduct validation testing, and deliver objective, data-driven engineering guidance and solutions
- Contribute to the creation of product requirements and technical specifications
- Provide data and technical guidance for product architecture development efforts
- Organize and lead structural design reviews, solution brainstorms, and implementation efforts
- Drive failure analysis, root cause efforts, and design of experiments to resolve problems
- Present results in a form actionable by cross-functional team members and leadership
- Advance team capabilities through the use of new methods, materials, technologies, and software tools
- BS in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent experience
- Knowledge of engineering and physics-based first-principles
- Experience using a data-driven approach to analyze problems and deliver robust, optimized solutions
- Experienced with designing, building and testing prototypes to validate analysis
- Understanding of the mechanical properties for a broad spectrum of materials, for example glass, ceramic, plastic, polymers, and adhesives
- Hands-on experience with advanced material analysis for developing numerical models
- 5+ years experience using commercial Finite Element Analysis and numerical modeling tools such as Abaqus, ANSYS Mechanical, LS-Dyna, Cosmos, Matlab, etc.
- 5+ years experience with implicit and explicit analysis of mechanical systems
- 3+ years experience with 3D modeling software (NX, SolidWorks, Creo)
- 3+ years experience architecting products around thermal and structural solutions
- 3+ years experience in design, development and launch of consumer electronic products
- Experience building relationships and working cross-functionally with multidisciplinary teams
- Masters in Mechanical Engineering or related field
- Experience delivering analysis and developing solutions for wearable, mass-produced, consumer electronics products
- Functional knowledge of mechanical, electrical, electronic and optical components
- Experience modeling and analyzing complex carbon-fiber composites
Facebook is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Facebook is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you need any assistance or accommodations due to a disability, please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Back to top