Security Engineer, Threat Surface Analysis
- Washington, DC
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
Facebook's Threat Surface Analysis team is looking for a Security Engineer with extensive experience in investigating and analyzing cyber threats to corporate systems. The team works on proactively understanding the global threat landscape as it manifests against our own corporate assets and products. Engineers will have the opportunity to work on some of the most challenging, complicated, and high-visibility security risks the company is facing. The potential for impact with this work is substantial, as outcomes could affect the billions of people who use our products.The perfect candidate will have a cyber threat intelligence background, with experience in applying intelligence to corporate systems, quantitative analysis, data-driven decision making, and programming/scripting. Highly qualified candidates will possess a professional understanding of nation state or cyber criminal operations and motivations, and will have worked at a multinational company. It is important candidates are focused on results, and are self-starters.
- Investigate and analyze various hardware and software technologies deployed across Facebook to assess capabilities and security measures.
- Understand the application of tactics, techniques, procedures, and tooling against various attack surfaces.
- Understand how threat actors operate in a corporate environment, and how to create countermeasures to these actions.
- Catalog, prioritize, and communicate analyses of threat surfaces.
- Lead technical investigations from start-to-finish, to include effectively communicating actionable results to different audience types.
- Investigate, mitigate, and forecast emerging technical trends.
- Engage constructively in cross-functional projects.
- Proficiency with Python, PHP, Perl, or similar scripting languages
- Experience investigating and acting on high-impact threats and online threat actors
- Experience conducting large scale data analysis
- Experience in thinking critically and qualify assessments with solid communications skills
- Proven track record of managing and executing on short term and long term projects
- Experience in prioritizing and executing with minimal direction or oversight
- Experience working across the broader security community
- Experience in working with a team spanning multiple locations/time zones
- Creating signatures as countermeasures
- Familiarity with nation state, sophisticated criminal, or supply chain threats
- Understanding of industry standard threat modeling (killchain, diamond model, ATT&CK)
- Demonstrated knowledge understanding the intersection of global security risks, and how they apply to Facebook
Back to top