Security Engineer Investigator
- Washington, DC
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
The Online Safety team is dedicated to protecting the users of the Facebook family of applications (e.g. Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp, Oculus) from human trafficking and exploitation, crimes against children, and dangerous organizations and individuals. We are a mission driven team with a passion for protecting people. We are seeking an experienced threat investigator to deeply understand how human trafficking and exploitation manifest, investigate complex threats, advance investigative methods, and use innovative research approaches to protect people from human trafficking and exploitation. You will have the opportunity to work on some of the most challenging, complicated, and high-visibility security risks the company is facing. The impact of your work will be substantial, as outcomes could affect the billions of people who use our products. The ideal candidate will be an innovative self-starter, who is motivated by our mission and results-driven. This is a full-time position based in our Washington, DC office.
- Proactively identify illicit human trafficking activity and networks, and their presence on Facebook's family of apps, to disrupt threats to users. Hunt for abuse by leveraging internal data, open-source intelligence, and third party private intelligence.
- Investigate complex cases to understand in granular detail how abuse is occurring and attribute the person(s) responsible. Identify and implement appropriate online and offline enforcement strategies to mitigate harm both in the current case and from similar forward-looking abuse.
- Research how threats show up within the ecosystem and deeply understand how abuse manifests. Discover and clearly explain emerging threats and trends, with an emphasis on geopolitical, cultural or societal-specific differences where appropriate.
- Analyze and interpret large datasets to advance investigations, quantify trends or support findings.
- Identify effective strategies to prevent or disrupt abuse at scale. Consult on the design of countermeasures to effect those strategies.
- Take a leadership role in suggesting, prototyping, and teaching novel investigative techniques.
- Address sensitive content issues, including but not limited to graphic images, videos and writings, offensive or derogatory language, and other objectionable material.
- Proficiency with Python, PHP or similar scripting languages
- Experience conducting large scale data analysis
- Experience investigating and acting on digital crimes and internet-enabled abuse/fraud
- Proven track record of managing and executing on short term and long term projects
- Experience working across the broader security community
- Experience thinking critically and qualifying assessments with solid communications skills
- Familiarity with sophisticated criminal or nation-state threats
- Regional knowledge and/or language skills
- Experience with open source investigation techniques and familiarity with a variety of internet research tools
- BS/MS or equivalent experience in Computer Science, Information Systems, Intelligence Studies, Cybersecurity or related field
- Expertise in disrupting threats to vulnerable users and security and safety issues
- Experience in working with a team spanning multiple locations/time zones
Back to top