Safety Policy Manager, Consumer Product
(Menlo Park, CA)
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities — we're just getting started.
Facebook's Public Policy Team is looking for a Safety Policy Manager to help manage the Safety Policy Team's consumer product and safety by design efforts.
Successful candidates will have the skills and experience to identify and analyze product-related safety and safety policy risks and work closely with product teams to identify, develop and execute effective responses – focusing primarily on youth safety, women's safety and the safety of other targeted communities.
Successful candidates should have a strong background and interest in online safety policy, the proven ability to evaluate the safety and safety policy implications of our products and features, and the proven ability to build needed relationships with key advocacy groups, academics, and researchers.
Candidates should be dedicated, detail-oriented, creative, resourceful, analytical, knowledgeable about technology and technology policy issues, and fundamentally believe in the positive value of technology. Candidates should have experience working with engineers, policy experts and consumer audiences. Candidates should have excellent presenting skills.
This is a full-time position located at our headquarters in Menlo Park, California.
- Identify and analyze safety and safety policy risks related to our products and features, and share learnings with the relevant product team, the Safety Policy team, the Product Policy team and where appropriate other teams involved in the policy mission.
- Provide feedback on the potential safety and safety policy impact of our products and features to ensure safety issues are appropriately considered in their development, and assist with landing of those products and features among policymakers, thought leaders, advocates and civil society.
- Assist in the development, maintenance, and deepening of our relationships with advocacy groups, academic experts, researchers and other stakeholders so as to cultivate expert knowledge, resources and third-party advocates/validators needed to do the job and support Public Policy, Programs, Communications, and other teams throughout Facebook.
- As directed, work cross-functionally with Public Policy, Communications, Marketing, Product Policy, Security Ops, Engineering and Programs to support efforts to elevate influencer knowledge and understanding of all the work being done to ensure the online safety of our community.
- Occasionally, as directed, speak at safety events and online safety related meetings to communicate Facebook's efforts regarding youth and family online safety, as well as develop and reinforce Facebook's reputation as a leader in online safety.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent degree in policy, law, marketing, business, communications or a relevant subject or discipline
- 5+ years of experience in technology policy issues
- Understanding of applicable regulatory and self-regulatory regimes
- Knowledge of Facebook products, features, platform, policies and operations, as well as knowledge of online safety landscape
- Analytical and organizational skills, proactive work ethic, and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Willingness to travel and to handle calls during different time zones
- Advanced degree
- Experience with the Internet technology industry
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Manager, Global Client Solutions
Peipei helps Facebook’s top clients devise solution-based and results-driven social media strategies. She creates strategic partnerships to help people and brands connect in a more meaningful way.
Back to top