Return to Work - Capacity Engineering and Analysis Engineer
- Menlo Park, CA
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
Facebook is seeking an Engineer to join the Capacity Engineering & Analysis team to focus on site-wide performance and capacity projects. This person will work cross-functionally with a number of teams to ensure optimal operation and growth of our computing resources from both a cost and technology perspective.This position has a 16-week duration beginning in August 2020. All candidates should be able to commit to a consecutive 16-week timeframe for successful completion of the program. At the end of the term, those who have demonstrated their abilities to succeed and make an impact at Facebook will be considered for a full-time position. Candidates are encouraged to apply early!This program is open to all candidates who have been out of the workforce for 2 years or longer. This is a 16-week position based in Menlo Park and Seattle.
- Scale the largest web capacity in the world: Work with Production Engineering, Infrastructure Engineering, and Data Engineering teams to optimize infrastructure scaling.
- Analyze and debug difficult server performance issues - identify bottlenecks and optimize product/service performance to improve user experience. Work with software developers closely to improve codebase performance (e.g., algorithm redesign), reduce resource consumption and shorten request latency.
- Plan the largest server and data center capacity: Own and drive Facebook's overall capacity planning work for all products/services and recommend DC expansion plans.
- Develop the coolest tools to monitor billions of user requests: Create monitoring, reporting, and data-mining tools for performance and capacity-related tests and analysis.
- Provide the deepest visibility to what is going on for all products: Run capacity and performance experiments to determine scaling and utilization parameters for various service tiers.
- Own the company's server budget, and allocate and track utilization across products.
- Shape future hardware architecture with workload characterization and hardware performance analysis.
- A lot of other cool work: Identify capacity-related issues proactively and work with systems, network, application operations and engineering teams to discover resolutions.
- B.S Degree in a quantitative field (e.g. Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, Statistics, Operations Research or other related field).
- 4+ years of experience in one of the following areas: software engineering, hardware engineering, systems engineering, production engineering, data analysis.
- Analytical and problem solving skills.
- Interpersonal and communication experience.
- Experience working with cross-functional teams.
- Experience in Web or Internet start-up environments and technical infrastructure knowledge.
- Experience in building or managing systems software components such as shared libraries, microservices, data storage architectures, caching, database engines, key value stores, etc.
- Experience with external facing production systems for high traffic websites and services.
- Exposure to large-scale systems.
- Experience with computer architecture and hardware systems performance analysis.
Back to top