Research Technical Writer
- Woodinville, WA
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
Facebook Reality Labs is inventing the technologies needed for future augmented reality and virtual reality products by performing breakthrough research in contextual AI, computer vision, optics, eye tracking, human-computer interaction, machine learning, and mixed reality that will create the foundation for groundbreaking AR and VR experiences.As a Research Technical Writer at Facebook Reality Labs, you'll plan, execute, and deliver processes and practices that will enable our ambitious research programs to share their work with partners across the company. You will work with a wide variety of teams within Facebook including other research teams, operations, business development, legal, and communications to build impactful relationships, serve as a dependable point of contact for information about the research program, and ensure the program's needs for documentation and internal communications are met. To do this, you will need a blend of technical writing, project management, and communications acumen to collaborate cross-functionally across research, external communications, and other partner teams to help us document how we're building the future.
- Work with research program leads and other stakeholders to develop documentation and communication strategies for recording the research teams' work and sharing it with partners. Proactively identify potential setbacks to this strategy and develop mitigation plans
- communicate status, risks and mitigation to stakeholders.
- Write and maintain living documents that explain the work the research teams are doing and what they've accomplished, with an audience of partner teams within Facebook as well as members of the research team. Post regular updates and work with team leads to write posts and updates on their projects.
- Autonomously own and drive documentation improvements within the team, and represent dependencies, deliverables, needs, and reasons behind decisions to team leadership.
- Understand tradeoffs of various solutions and approaches such that you are able to propose and advocate for specific solutions during planning.
- 5+ years of tech writing experience, including 3+ years of communications, community management, technical writing, journalism, or project management experience at a tech company or research organization.
- Experience with writing technical documents for a broad audience. Proven experience to quickly grasp and communicate technical and scientific concepts to both experts and non-experts.
- Track record of operating independently, demonstrating creativity, being detail-oriented, quickly grasping technical and delivering results in a highly organized manner.
- Interpersonal skills, including relationship building and collaboration within a diverse, cross-functional team.
- Experience writing in someone else's view/ghostwriting, for example articles or social media posts.
- Degree in technical writing, journalism, or a relevant scientific or technical field.
- Tech writing or project management experience in consumer electronics or consumer software.
- Library sciences or archive management experience.
- Community management or public relations experience for video games, virtual reality, or augmented reality development.
Back to top