Research Software Engineer, Machine Perception Data (PhD University Grad)
Careers at Oculus
Part of Facebook
Oculus is a world leader in the design of virtual reality systems. We are currently seeking innovative researchers and developers with a passion for technology to achieve great strides in general machine perception data systems at our research location in Redmond, WA. Within the Oculus Research team, the aim of this role is to design and build large-scale systems in support of end-to-end real-time 3D scene understanding, working with novel mobile sensors, state estimation, machine perception and online inference and optimization. The focus of the role lies in the intersection of machine perception with massively distributed systems that will enable multi-platform applications. This role will enable collaboration with the FAIR and AML research groups as well as Facebook AR/VR product groups while investigating new techniques and systems for storing, securing, analyzing, serving, and lifecycle management. The position requires a PhD in data management, analytics and processing with a strong background in design and systems.
- Design and implementation of research prototypes that will show the way towards live, production data systems
- API design, implementation and testing for enabling next generation for AR/VR/MR applications.
- Evaluation of prototypes in multiple environments and platforms under realistic and simulated conditions.
- Data management and curation of geometric, acoustic, and multi-sensor data.
- Evolution and integration of research prototypes with systems from other teams.
- Analysis of computing data hierarchy from cloud to mobile device client.
- Collaboration with core infrastructure teams as well as multiple research and product groups.
- Understanding size, weight, cost, power, and bandwidth constraints of future consumer devices
- Currently has or is in the process of obtaining a PhD degree or completing a postdoctoral assignment in the field of distributed systems, data management, databases, computer vision, machine learning or related field
- Must be available to start employment on or after June 2017
- 4+ years experience in C/C++ or other non-garbage collected language
- 2+ years experience with massively scalable cloud systems (AWS/Azure/GCP), including
- 2+ years experience with batch, ad-hoc, and stream processing of large data sets (MapReduce, Kinesis, Spark, etc.)
- Interpersonal skills: cross-group and cross-culture collaboration
- Ability to obtain work authorization in the United States in 2017
- Experience with developing machine learning, 3D geometry, and physics based simulation
- Demonstrated software engineer experience via an internship, work experience, coding competitions, or widely used contributions in open source repositories (e.g. Github)
- Proven track record of achieving significant results as demonstrated by grants, fellowships, patents, as well as first-authored publications at leading workshops or conferences such as SIGMOD, VLDB, ICDE, etc.
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Manager, Global Client Solutions
Peipei helps Facebook’s top clients devise solution-based and results-driven social media strategies. She creates strategic partnerships to help people and brands connect in a more meaningful way.
Back to top