Research Scientist — Statistics and Privacy
- London, United Kingdom
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
Our Statistics and Privacy team focuses on establishing step-change improvements to advance our long-term business growth. The team's expertise spans many domains including statistics, machine learning, cryptography and neuroscience. We develop methodologies, design and prototype solutions, and partner with our engineering colleagues to launch these solutions such that millions of advertisers can benefit. Examples include internal and external experimentation platforms, ads delivery optimization for efficient causal outcomes, and the application of privacy enhancing technologies across our ads product stack.
We seek research scientists - both new PhD graduates and industry-experience leaders - to identify new opportunities and build scientifically rigorous systems. Research scientists will drive forward prototypes and methodologies, pursuing novel applied research associated with our efforts in areas such as privacy preserving machine learning or statistical learning and experimentation platforms. This work is critical to our long-term product development, and we expect research scientists to provide both scientific expertise and creative solutions to accelerate their project area. In additional to leveraging scientific expertise to prototype and develop new products, team members are expected to build consensus across product, engineering and business stakeholders as to the strategic merit of our initiatives.
- Identify specific, high-impact opportunities to build new and improve existing advertising and commerce solutions
- Design and prototype new algorithms, optimization methods, and system architectures
- Build cross-functional relationships with AI, Engineering, Product and Analytics teams to shape long-term roadmaps with a balance of scientific rigor and strategic considerations
- Learn new tools, systems and languages quickly as required by the particular project you are working on
- Develop patent applications, white papers, conference presentations, and publications that are broadly appealing and accessible beyond a core scientific audience
- PhD in statistics, computer science, physics, quantitative social science, or a related quantitative field, or MS/MA degree with 4+ years of relevant experience in data science or research science
- Expertise in either privacy preserving machine learning, or statistical learning and experimentation platforms
- Proficiency designing and implementing analytical and/or algorithmic solutions, tailored to particular business needs and tested on large data sets
- Expertise in Python, Julia, or R
- Proficiency in communicating analyses and establishing confidence among audiences who do not share your disciplinary background or training
- Track record of innovation
Back to top