Research Scientist (PhD or Postdoc Graduate)
- London, United Kingdom
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
Facebook Reality Labs (FRL) brings together a world-class R&D team of researchers, developers, and engineers to build the future of connection within virtual and augmented reality. We're developing all the technologies needed to enable breakthrough AR glasses and VR headsets. The Surreal Vision research group at FRL is seeking exceptional Research Scientists to solve the next generation of research challenges on the path to building future machine perception enabled technologies. This role focuses on formulating a new generation of end-to-end real-time 3D scene understanding systems working across novel sensor design, sensor fusion, state estimation, computer vision, large-scale reconstruction and localization, as well as large-scale online inference and optimization.
- Plan and execute cutting-edge development to advance the state of the art in machine perception, mapping, reconstruction and localization, as well as 3D scene understanding across optical/inertial/acoustic sensing systems
- Collaborate with other researchers and engineers across both machine and human perception teams at Facebook to develop experiments, prototypes, and concepts that advance the state-of-the-art in AR/VR systems
- Work with the team to help design, setup, and run practical experiments and prototype systems related to large-scale long-duration sensing and machine reasoning
- Currently has or is in the process of obtaining an PhD in Computer Science or related field Experience with real world system building and data collection, including design, coding (C++) and evaluation (C++/Python)
- Education in the following fields: Computer Vision, Robotics, State Estimation, 3D Reconstruction, Mapping & Localization, Physics based models, Machine-learning, or a related field
- Hands-on experience implementing 3D computer vision algorithms, Sensor Fusion, SLAM, Reconstruction, Mapping, Localization and Image Processing
- Publication in leading workshops or conferences such as CVPR, ECCV, ICCV, SIGGRAPH, ICCP, RSS, ICRA, etc.
- Interpersonal experience: cross-group and cross-culture collaboration
- Must be available to start employment on or after June 1, 2020
- Must obtain work authorization in country of employment at the time of hire, and maintain ongoing work authorization during employment
- Currently has or is in the process of obtaining a PhD degree or completing a postdoctoral assignment in Computer Science or related field
- Experience with designing (products or open-source) software for inertial/optical/acoustic sensing devices
- Experience in real-time computer graphics and modern GPU programming (CUDA, OpenGL, OpenCL)
- Experience working in a Unix environment
Back to top