Research Scientist, Perceptual Display Assessment
Careers at Oculus
Part of Facebook
We are seeking an individual with a background in visual processing, low-level vision, perceptual encoding, display engineering, and/or display evaluation to drive research on novel display technologies for AR/VR. As a Perceptual Research Scientist at Oculus Research in Redmond WA, you will be tackling the scientific challenges that define cutting-edge virtual and augmented reality display systems. The person in this role will study the impact of display system architectures on spatial vision, color vision, the detectability of display artifacts and perceived image quality for VR/AR applications. Projects take advantage of internal resources in mechanical, electrical, optical, and software engineering, allowing us to confront scientific questions which cannot be addressed with existing equipment.
- Conduct research in display engineering and determine how novel displays and display controllers impact perceived image quality
- Derive novel experimental approaches to assess the impact of spatial, temporal and color properties of novel display systems for AR/VR
- Employ existing knowledge of human sensory encoding and display quality metrics to help guide engineers toward effective display solutions
- Collaborate with internal research teams (optical, applied physics & engineering) to explore aspects of displays impacting user comfort that are unique to AR/VR systems
- Communicate findings of experiments and set target specifications for novel display systems
- Ph.D. in Display Engineering, Optics, Computational Imaging, or related field with an emphasis on user testing, image quality metrics and/or perceptual modeling.
- Background in modeling visual processes and how pixel and/or display design impacts the neural signals being encoded
- Knowledge of human physiological optics, illustrated through senior authored publications, and/or international conference presentations
- 3+ years experience in employing industry standard image quality metrics
- Experience with colorimetry, radiometry and/or optical simulation
- 5+ years of training and/or experience in psychophysical and empirical behavioral measurement
- Interpersonal skills: cross-group and cross-culture collaboration
- Able to obtain work authorization in the US beginning in 2017
- Exhibited experience working on the evaluation and engineering of display electronics and controllers
- Illustrated understanding of the complete image processing pipeline, from capture to reproduction through work experience, publications and/or academic training
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Manager, Global Client Solutions
Peipei helps Facebook’s top clients devise solution-based and results-driven social media strategies. She creates strategic partnerships to help people and brands connect in a more meaningful way.
Back to top