Research Scientist, Open Lab, Connectivity Lab
(Menlo Park, CA)
Facebook’s mission is to give people the power to share, and make the world more open and connected. Through our growing family of apps and services, we’re building a different kind of company that helps billions of people around the world connect and share what matters most to them. Whether we’re creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to make the world more open and accessible. Connecting the world takes every one of us—and we’re just getting started.
We believe connecting the world is one of the greatest challenges of our generation, and that everyone deserves access to the knowledge, tools and opportunities that come from being connected. Facebook is looking for a Research Scientist to spearhead research efforts for our new OpenLab initiative. OpenLab is an innovation and strategy group within Facebook’s Connectivity Lab. Our mission is to explore machine-to-people interactions through research on new technologies and the development of compelling new connected experiences. The ultimate goal being to help connect the unconnected through a people-centered design approach.Candidates will be part of a highly-collaborative, multi-disciplinary team — product managers and designers, hardware and software engineers — developing first-of-their-kind products. We tackle big problems and produce fundamental innovation, not incremental improvement. You’ll need to be comfortable with ambiguity, and innovating in new categories without much market precedent.The position is at Facebook’s headquarters in Menlo Park, California.
- Identify big opportunities in machine-to-person interactions that can have a positive impact on people’s lives.
- Work closely with OpenLab’s diverse team of engineers, researchers, and product specialists to drive concepts through discovery, prototype and ultimately deeper development.
- Crystalize hypotheses and concepts into actionable design, engineering, and product goals which can be built, tested and iterated.
- Work closely with external and internal engineering groups to design and debug system-level issues.
- Inventing new features for future products, develop requirements, and translate these into deployable products.
- Change the landscape of the capabilities of machine-to-people interactions and form factors.
- Share results internally and externally through means of publications, presentations, and blogposts.
- PhD in Electrical Engineering, Physics, Computer Science or a related technical, quantitative discipline.
- Experience in various areas of product design including board layout, power/radio considerations, component selection, and working with vendors/CM’s.
- Experience developing and troubleshooting the device “stack” from low-level hardware to user-facing software.
- Entrepreneurial mindset: can tie together concepts into a narrative work with various stakeholders within the company and externally, a willingness to fail.
- Experience leading research programs.
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Sr. Manager, WhatsApp Customer Support & Localization
Cristina manages the WhatsApp customer experience, translating the application into multiple languages and troubleshooting communication services worldwide.
Back to top