Research Scientist, News Feed Science
(Menlo Park, CA)
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities — we're just getting started.
Facebook is seeking exceptional scientists to join the News Feed Science team. The News Feed Science team conducts applied research to understand the News Feed ecosystem and the behavior of people who use our site as well as implement improvements to the News Feed ranking algorithm through innovative ideas and new machine learning tools. We are seeking applied researchers with stellar empirical research skills and technical backgrounds who are comfortable working in a software engineering environment. Applicants must demonstrate depth of knowledge in a technical field such as computer science, mathematics, economics, statistics, or operations research as well as experience with data science and empirical methods such as causal analysis, machine learning, surveying, experimentation, simulation, visualization, and modeling.
- Work cross-functionally across News Feed to solve the largest problems facing the business through research, analysis, and innovation.
- Answer complex business questions by applying appropriate statistical techniques to available data, or designing and running experiments.
- Build applied models of user behavior and the News Feed content ecosystem, drawing upon statistical and machine learning methods.
- Work with the News Feed ranking teams to model and improve the ranking algorithm.
- Communicate findings to managers and engineers, often through succinct research summaries.
- Build processes for the collection, visualization, and general use of data.
- Ph.D. in a technical field such as computer science, statistics, mathematics, economics, operations research, or related disciplines.
- Published papers in peer-reviewed journals or conferences or track record of leading data science projects in industry.
- Ability to communicate and visualize, quantitative analysis
- 2+ years experience solving applied problems using data science methods including machine learning, surveying, experimentation, simulation, visualization, and modeling.
- 2+ years experience with an analysis tool such as R, Matlab, or Python or experience working with production machine learning systems.
- 2+ years experience with a programming language such as Python, C++, or Java or previous software engineering experience.
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Manager, Global Client Solutions
Peipei helps Facebook’s top clients devise solution-based and results-driven social media strategies. She creates strategic partnerships to help people and brands connect in a more meaningful way.
Back to top