Research Scientist, Machine Learning (PhD University Grad)
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities â€" we're just getting started.
At Facebook, we use machine learning across a diverse set of applications to help people discover better content more quickly, and to connect with the things that matter most to them. We strive to find ways to deliver more engaging content in News Feed, rank search results more accurately, and present the most relevant ads possible.
In order to meet the demands of our scale, we approach machine learning challenges from a system engineering standpoint, pushing the boundaries of scalable computing and tying together numerous complex platforms to build models that leverage trillions of actions. Our research and production implementations leverage many of the innovations being generated from Facebook's research in Distributed Computing, Artificial Intelligence and Databases, and run on the same hardware and network specifications that are being open sourced through the Open Compute project.
As a Software Engineer or Research Scientist at Facebook, you will help build the next generation of machine learning systems behind Facebook's products, create web applications that reach millions of people, build high volume servers and be a part of a team thatâ€™s working to help connect people around the globe.
- Develop highly scalable classifiers and tools leveraging machine learning, regression, and rules-based models
- Suggest, collect and synthesize requirements and create effective feature roadmap
- Code deliverables in tandem with the engineering team
- Adapt standard machine learning methods to best exploit modern parallel environments (e.g. distributed clusters, multicore SMP, and GPU)
- Perform specific responsibilities which vary by team
- Currently has or is in the process of obtaining a PhD degree or completing a postdoctoral assignment in the field of Machine Learning or similar
- Must be available to start employment on or before December 31, 2019
- Interpersonal experience: cross-group and cross-culture collaboration
- Able to obtain work authorization in the US beginning in 2019
- Research and/or work experience in machine learning, NLP, recommendation systems, pattern recognition, signal processing, data mining, artificial intelligence, information retrieval or computer vision
- Experience in systems software or algorithms
- Knowledge in Java or C++, Perl, PHP or Python
- Problem solving experience
- Proven track record of achieving results as demonstrated by grants, fellowships, patents, as well as first-authored publications at workshops or conferences such as ICML, NIPS, KDD or similar
- Demonstrated software engineer experience via an internship, work experience, coding competitions, or used contributions in open source repositories (e.g. GitHub)
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Global Marketing Lead, Facebook Blueprint
As the marketing lead for Facebook’s Blueprint program, Lauren focuses on building awareness around the program and the adoption of education and training by businesses and advertisers.
Back to top