Research Scientist, Machine Learning for Image Synthesis (PhD)
- Redmond, WA
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
Come invent the future. Join the world-class Display Systems Research (DSR) team at Facebook Reality Labs Research (FRL Research), whose work spans next-generation VR headsets, new types of computational displays, complex experimental systems, and AI-driven graphics. Partner with expert research scientists, mechanical engineers, electrical engineers, and other brilliant software minds to build cutting-edge prototypes and create the technology that makes AR/VR universal. Step into the adventure of a lifetime, as we make science fiction real and change the world.
- Conceive and develop novel, accurate computer vision algorithms and advanced tightly integrated hardware technologies for real-time neural rendering, 3D reconstruction, 3D scene understanding, and more
- Implement proof-of-concept prototypes that re-define the state-of-the-art in virtual and augmented reality
- Collaborate with team members from prototyping through production to advance the entire project
- Contribute research that can be applied to Facebook/Oculus product development and industry leading publications
- Currently has, or is in the process of obtaining, a PhD degree or completing a postdoctoral assignment in the field of computer science, computer vision, robotics, or related fields
- Mathematical knowledge in optimization, linear algebra, and probabilistic estimation
- Computer vision and machine learning experience in image synthesis, neural rendering, multi-view geometry, calibration, and related topics
- Demonstrated experience in algorithm development for 3D graphics, 3D reconstruction, 3D scene understanding, displays, cameras, or other optical sensing and display technologies
- 5+ years C++ experience with modern C++ features
- 3+ years experience with modern deep learning frameworks (e.g., TensorFlow and PyTorch)
- 3+ years experience with scientific programming languages such as Python, MATLAB, Mathematica, or similar
- Demonstrated software engineer experience within a complex codebase via an internship, work experience, coding competitions, or widely used contributions in open source repositories (e.g. GitHub)
- Interpersonal experience: cross-group and cross-culture collaboration
- Must obtain work authorization in country of employment at the time of hire, and maintain ongoing work authorization during employment
- Broad understanding of the full machine vision pipeline from sensors to high-level algorithms
- Proven track record of achieving results as demonstrated by grants, fellowships, patents, as well as first-authored publications at leading workshops or conferences such as CVPR, SIGGRAPH, ICCV, etc.
Facebook is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Facebook is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you need any assistance or accommodations due to a disability, please let us know at email@example.com.
Back to top