Research Scientist Leader
- Menlo Park, CA
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
FAIR's, Facebook Artificial Intelligence Research, mission is to advance the state of the art of AI through open research. FAIR researchers seek to advance the academic problems surrounding AI. Our research covers the full spectrum of topics related to AI, and to deriving knowledge from data: theory, algorithms, applications, software infrastructure and hardware infrastructure. We actively engage with the research community through publications, open source software, participation in technical conferences and workshops, and collaborations with academia to make significant progress. Facebook is seeking a Research Scientist leader to join Facebook AI Research, a research organization focused on making significant progress in AI. Leaders in this role are expected to be recognized experts in identified research areas such as artificial intelligence, machine learning, computational statistics, and applied mathematics, particularly including areas such as deep learning, graphical models, reinforcement learning, computer perception, natural language processing and data representation. The ideal candidate will have a keen interest in managing the efforts of a group of researchers to produce new science and technology to make computers more intelligent.
- Manage a group of researchers to advance the science and technology of intelligent machines
- Contribute to shaping and communicating FAIR vision, in collaboration with FAIR Managing Directors
- Identify gaps and solutions for future growth and scale within the site and/or the area of expertise, including research, partnership and/or culture opportunities
- Create structures, systems and organizations that allow researchers to be most effective
- Recruit and mentor research scientists, identifying talent gaps and the people required to fill them
- Communicate the impact of existing research and potential of future research directions to the global AI community as well as the internal Facebook product groups
- Work towards long-term ambitious research goals, while identifying intermediate milestones
- Influence progress of relevant research communities by producing publications
- Contribute research that can be applied to Facebook product development
- Experience managing a group of research scientists
- Experience communicating research
- Ph.D. and a publication record in Machine Learning, AI, computer science, statistics, applied mathematics, data science, or related technical fields
- 5+ years of post-PhD work experience in a research organization or equivalent
- Experience solving analytical problems using quantitative approaches
- Knowledge in a programming language
- Experience partnering with engineering teams
- Experience in transferring research to production
Facebook is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Facebook is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you need any assistance or accommodations due to a disability, please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Back to top