Research Scientist, Connectivity Labs - ML/AI Communications
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities â€" we're just getting started.
We believe connecting the world is one of the greatest challenges of our generation, and that everyone deserves access to the knowledge, tools and opportunities that come from being connected. Thatâ€™s why we, along with other tech companies, launched Internet.org, a global partnership to make the Internet available to the two thirds of the world's population that doesnâ€™t have it. The Connectivity Labs team works on developing new platforms and solutions for connectivity. Connecting the un- and under-connected requires advanced technological breakthroughs, and Machine Learning (ML)/Artificial Intelligence (AI) is uniquely positioned to make communication systems more efficient using large datasets at various stages.
We are looking for someone who has demonstrated success as a leading researcher and is adept at collaboratively evaluating problems from a global level to the nanoscale in a variety of domains that include, but are not limited to; optical, wireless and wireline communications systems and software. Come join us and help grow a world class research team to support our connectivity efforts.
- Foster a positive, creative, and collaborative environment, encouraging brainstorming and an openness to try new, unconventional ideas
- Lead research to advance the science and technology of intelligent machines in communications networks and systems, including the semantics of data (images, video, text, audio, speech and other modalities)
- Devise better data-driven models to develop, plan, and operate communications networks
- Champion research, engineering, and operational excellence for establishing metrics, tools, and processes to regularly assess project progress and improvement
- Contribute research that can be applied to Facebook product development
- Lead and collaborate on research projects with a globally based team, including universities and industry partners
- Conduct research to advance the science and technology of complex communications components and systems in support of Connectivity Labs' mission
- Mentor researchers and engineering teams to support Connectivity Labs
- Collaborate with engineering and management teams to set clear expectations and create a positive work environment based on accountability
- Work with Facebook Connectivity engineering, product managers, and our partnership teams to transition research to products
- Share results internally and externally through means of publications, presentations and blogposts
- B.S. or M.S. in Physics, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, or a related technical field
- ML/AI and systems basics, including the requisite programming experience (python or equivalent, and at least one systems-level programming language: C, C++, Java, Go, Rust, or equivalent)
- Experience with data analytics (data collection, storage, cleaning, processing with statistics, visualization, and other data related processes)
- Demonstrated track record of starting projects, research labs, or companies
- Experience working on communication systems or networks
- 10+ years of technical leadership experience architecting, developing, and launching hardware/software projects and/or services
- Experience with technical leadership in leading research efforts
- Experience handling multiple competing priorities
- Knowledge on how culture and team dynamics create teams
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Global Marketing Lead, Facebook Blueprint
As the marketing lead for Facebook’s Blueprint program, Lauren focuses on building awareness around the program and the adoption of education and training by businesses and advertisers.
Back to top