Research Scientist, Connectivity Lab Intern
(Menlo Park, CA)
Facebook’s mission is to give people the power to share, and make the world more open and connected. Through our growing family of apps and services, we’re building a different kind of company that helps billions of people around the world connect and share what matters most to them. Whether we’re creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to make the world more open and accessible. Connecting the world takes every one of us—and we’re just getting started.
The Connectivity Lab team is looking for someone to design, simulate, model and test future novel communication technologies and solutions in the wireless and optical domains. The successful candidate will develop models, build and test hypotheses for novel mechanisms for transfer of data in full system solutions. The candidate will be adept at evaluating problems from a global level to the nanoscale, in a variety of domains that include, but are not limited to the communications systems themselves (including but not limited to weather, solar insolation, topological/terrain and scattering/absorption effects).This is a 12 week internship position located in our Menlo Park office.
- Work closely with our communications engineers to model and evaluate new models/data sets of communications based on propagation models/resource allocation.
- Work closely with our communication platform engineers to model and evaluate system-level issues/optimizations and tie this to the communication technologies.
- Work closely with our FSO/RF teams to design and/or specify new nano-, micro- or macro-fabricated components
- Work closely with external and internal engineering groups to design and debug system-level issues.
- Inventing new features for future products, develop requirements, and translate these into deployable products.
- Change the landscape of the capabilities of mobile access.
- Pursuing a Master’s or PhD degree in electrical engineering, physics or a related technical, quantitative discipline
- Experience with troubleshooting hardware systems, including RF and optical testing and test result preparation
- Given the nature of this role, certain candidates may require export license approval under the U.S. export control or trade sanctions laws to be hired. Facebook has unilateral discretion to determine whether to apply for any export license or other approval that may be required. Should Facebook elect to apply for a license, please be advised that there is no guarantee that the United States Government will issue an export license or other approval.
- Experience of RF systems design or optical systems designBoard or optical layout experience
- Experience of mechanical systems that can support RF or optical systems
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Sr. Manager, WhatsApp Customer Support & Localization
Cristina manages the WhatsApp customer experience, translating the application into multiple languages and troubleshooting communication services worldwide.
Back to top