Research Scientist, Connectivity Lab
(Menlo Park, CA)
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities — we're just getting started.
We believe connecting the world is one of the greatest challenges of our generation, and that everyone deserves access to the knowledge, tools and opportunities that come from being connected. That's why we, along with other tech companies, launched Internet.org (http://internet.org/) (http://internet.org (http://internet.org/)/), a global partnership to make the Internet available to the two thirds of the worlds population that doesn't have it. The Connectivity Lab team has been working on developing new platforms and solutions for connectivity. Come join us and help grow a world class research team to support our Connectivity Lab. The candidate will be adept at collaboratively evaluating problems from a global level to the nanoscale, in a variety of domains that include, but are not limited to [the communications systems themselves.] material science, RF/electrical and optical components, systems and software across wireless and optical domains. The candidate will have demonstrated success as a research program lead.
- Foster a positive, creative and collaborative environment, encouraging brainstorming and an openness to try new and unconventional ideas.
- Conduct research to advance the science and technology of complex communications components and systems in support of the Connectivity Lab mission
- Mentor researchers and engineering teams to support the Connectivity Lab
- Collaborate with researchers inside and outside of Facebook.
- Champion research, engineering and operational excellence, establishing metrics and process for regular assessment and improvement
- Establish and maintain excellent development processes.
- Establish processes and tools to measure progress and impact.
- Set clear expectations and create a positive work environment based on accountability, in collaboration with the engineering and management teams.
- Work with the commercial side of the Connectivity Lab to transition research projects to commercialization.
- Share results internally and externally through means of publications, presentations and blogposts.
- B.S. or M.S. in Physics, Electrical Engineering or a related technical field.
- Experience working on communication systems is a preferred.
- At least 10 years of professional technical leadership experience successfully architecting, developing, and launching hardware/software projects and/or services
- At least 5 years of experience managing successful engineering teams including hiring/termination and performance management.
- High proficiency and technical leadership in leading research efforts.
- Ability to handle multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Deep understanding of how culture and team dynamics create exceptional teams.
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Manager, Global Client Solutions
Peipei helps Facebook’s top clients devise solution-based and results-driven social media strategies. She creates strategic partnerships to help people and brands connect in a more meaningful way.
Back to top