Research Scientist, Calibra Economics (Blockchain)
Calibra is a Facebook subsidiary whose goal is to provide financial services for Libra, a new global currency powered by blockchain technology. The first product Calibra will introduce is a digital wallet, which will be available in Messenger, WhatsApp and as a standalone app. The first version of Calibra will support peer-to-peer payments and a few other ways to pay such as QR codes which small merchants can use to accept payments in Libra. Over time there will be many other use-cases for Calibra including in-store payments, integrations into Point-of-Sale systems, and more. When launched, Calibra will have strong fraud and privacy protections. The Calibra digital wallet is expected to launch in 2020.
The Calibra economics team is seeking exceptional candidates from a market design or macroeconomics background to join our team. Individuals in this role are expected to have deep expertise and the ability to leverage economic theory into real-world, practical solutions for blockchain based problems. Depending on background, economists in this role will initiate and execute projects around topics such as auction design, economic incentives in consensus protocols, market concentration, and macroeconomic aspects of the Libra currency. Candidates should demonstrate a strong research background and the ability to disseminate findings clearly and succinctly. This job will involve both foundational product work and academic research centered around the Calibra digital wallet and the Libra currency.
RESEARCH SCIENTIST, CALIBRA ECONOMICS (BLOCKCHAIN) RESPONSIBILITIES
- Drive economics-based product decisions and research agendas involving the Libra currency and the Calibra wallet
- Work closely with other teams, including product and engineering, to identify and answer economics-related questions
- Communicate findings clearly and concisely to leadership and other stakeholders
- Author novel economics research
- PhD in economics or finance or 6+ years experience working in finance
- Knowledge in R or Python
- Knowledge with SQL
Facebook is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com .
RELATED JOB OPENINGS
- Data Enablement Solutions Partner- People Data Solutions
Menlo Park, CA
- Data Science Manager, SBG
Menlo Park, CA + 1 More
- Data Scientist, Analytics - New Product Experimentation
Menlo Park, CA
- Marketing Science Partner, GSO Coverage
Menlo Park, CA + 4 More
- Marketing Science Program Manager
Menlo Park, CA + 2 More
- Program Manager, Business Planning and Operations - SBG
Austin, TX + 2 More
Facebook is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org . Requests sent to this email address that do not pertain to disability or religious accommodations cannot be answered.
Questions? Check out our FAQs.
Back to top