Research Scientist, Area Operations, Economics and Computation
(Menlo Park, CA)
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities — we're just getting started.
Facebook is seeking a Research Scientist to join the Operations, Economics and Computation Group within the Core Data Science team.Individuals in this role are expected to be comfortable working as a software engineer and a quantitative researcher, and have a passion for solving real-world problems.
- Work closely with engineering teams to identify and answer important product and business questions
- Answer product and business questions by using appropriate optimization, game theoretical, and statistical techniques on available data
- Communicate findings to product managers and engineers
- Drive the collection of new data and the refinement of existing data sources
- Analyze and interpret the results of product experiments
- PhD in computer science, operations research, operations management, economics or related fields or 4+ years experience in a related role
- Extensive experience solving analytical problems using quantitative approaches
- Comfort manipulating and analyzing complex, high-volume, high-dimensionality data from various sources
- A strong passion for empirical research and for answering hard questions with data
- Ability to communicate complex quantitative analysis in a clear, precise, and actionable manner
- Fluency with programming and scripting languages such as C++, Python or PHP
- Fluency with mathematical programming tools and optimization software such as GUROBI, CPLEX or XPRESS
- Familiarity with relational databases and SQL
- Expert knowledge of an analysis tool such as R, Matlab, or SAS
- Experience working with data sets, experience working with distributed computing tools a plus (Map/Reduce, Hadoop, Hive, etc.)
- Ability to obtain work authorization in the United States in 2016
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Manager, Global Client Solutions
Peipei helps Facebook’s top clients devise solution-based and results-driven social media strategies. She creates strategic partnerships to help people and brands connect in a more meaningful way.
Back to top